Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default Intake Question

So I know there are cai systems out there k&n and spectre. But I have an aftermarket drop-in filter and I want to keep that and not go oval. Has anyone kept the drop-in filter and replaced everything else. Aka replaced the ripple piping? And do you have any pics if you did?

Would it be worth it to replace the piping? I like the whistle in my tiburon gt as it has a cai but don't want to go oval again.

Any thoughts or suggestions? lol.

Thanks in advance!

Whoops. Sorry about that. I thought the section I wrote this in was intake instead of the main section. Can you please move it to intake. My bad.

Last edited by tibby; 08-10-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

i dont think that would really do much anways..
the aftermarket drop ins, in my opinion, are only better because they last longer.
for performance you want your intake to be exposed, rather than enclosed in a box.
cai's give you more power because they are exposed and usually have a heat shield between them and the engine, which allows cold air to be compressed in your engine.
cold air compresses easier than hot air. so more air intake = more power.
hope this helps

Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I don't think you'll get the "whistle" that the tiburon has, it'll be more of a throaty throttle body sound. As for the piping I believe it's only ribbed on the outside. Take it off & have a look inside, I think they're fairly smooth inside.
Performance wise like the black bastard said (LOL sounds funny saying that but it's his nic!) a cold air or outside air source is wanted. Either a heat shield or if you stick with the drop in after market filter & stock air box you gain the benifits of a cleanable & possibly a little better flowing filter.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Rottidog
I don't think you'll get the "whistle" that the tiburon has, it'll be more of a throaty throttle body sound. As for the piping I believe it's only ribbed on the outside. Take it off & have a look inside, I think they're fairly smooth inside.
Performance wise like the black bastard said (LOL sounds funny saying that but it's his nic!) a cold air or outside air source is wanted. Either a heat shield or if you stick with the drop in after market filter & stock air box you gain the benifits of a cleanable & possibly a little better flowing filter.
LOL! at your statement in bold haha.

But to get back to my question, thanks for the help fellas.

I was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to do. I want to keep the airbox or something like it for off-roading purposes. And I already have an after-market drop-in filter. Hmm.... what to do for more airflow?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The airflow provided by the stock set-up is more than sufficient for the engine in its base form. To actually realize benefits from a CAI you would need to have the pcm programmed for it. Otherwise, you are just changing the air/fuel ratio without the benefit of the engine being able to make use of it. But you would get a different sound, if that is important to you.