Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

new member here, ? about magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009 | 04:35 PM
peeps96 is on a distinguished road
Default new member here, ? about magnaflow

well tomorrow I'm having the local muffler shop weld up a magnaflow to all the stock pipeing on my 96. Well when I noteiced that they dont make a 2.5 in 2.25 out I called him. I was going to suggest a 2.5inch tailpipe when he said that he would just order the 2.25 muffler, shrink the end of pipe coming from the cat and weld it up. my question is will there be any noteicable difference between this setup and a 2.5 all the way through? I know its only a quater inch but just curious.

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:25 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You will notice a difference only if you want to. In other words, no.

Old 06-10-2009 | 06:12 PM

thats about what I figured. Thanks for the fast response and I'm loving the information on this forum, I've just about been through every page in performance. I'm thinking about a wait4me tune, some pullieys, and an airaid cai next.

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're referring to underdrive pulleys, I would pass on them for general daily driving.

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:43 AM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

why would you pass on one for a daily driver?

Old 06-11-2009 | 10:05 AM
BF Guru

In a nutshell, here's a paragraph from Wikipedia:

Be careful if your car is driven on the street to not have more than 15-20% underdrive. Some companies also offer stock diameter crankshaft and accessory pulleys. Poorly designed cheap pulleys or copies and knock-offs of major brands can have severe side effects because of too much underdrive of the alternator, power steering, and/or air conditioning units, which are not spinning fast enough. These lead to dips in alternator voltage, power assist, and air conditioning effectiveness may be noticeable, especially at idle. The headlights may dim when coming to a stop, or the stereo may lower in volume, for instance. Too much underdrive for a race car, this is not of concern, but for a daily driven vehicle it can be a major annoyance.

It's your call.

Old 06-11-2009 | 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-11-2009 | 03:31 PM

thanks guys! I got the muffler put on today along with the high flo cat and love it. It sounds perfect crusing at 45 and 50. well I have kicker subs and amp so the pullieys may not be a good idea for me. I'll prolly just go with the air aid cai and tune. later on mabey headers and cam.