Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default high flow cat

looking into getting a cat-back exhaust system for the blaze and i need to find somewhere to get a high flow cat. local shops charge a butt-load of money for them and stylin concepts do not carry them. any ideas?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: high flow cat

just search for them online i found a magnaflow cat for my camaro on line it only cost like 100 with shiping and everything

Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

are they legal ?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 AM

not as far as i know, i believe on an EXTREME technicality it has to be the exact same type as the vehicle was originally constructed and it has to be in the exact same place. however you should be able to pass emissions just fine, i did with my camaro, before and after i installed my magnaflow cat, with the same results.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 AM

fyi for everyone out there, the cat is considered a part that is supposed to last the life of the vehicle "usually ten years" if it breaks before then the company that built it (gm) is required by law to replace it. this came with the paperwork for my magnaflow cat, mine was over ten, and i got better performance from the new one so i didn't care, as i imagine you don't but just letting everyone know.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can pickup a magnaflow universal cat for around $60 and just have it installed. These units will flow a lot more than the stock catalyst.

However, with any aftermarket catalyst, the post-cat O2 sensor may not like the difference...

And although it may be technically illegal to remove a perfectly working catalyst and replace it with another one, that can be argued and I've never seen anyone get in trouble for it. I have seen someone get a hefty $5000 fine for not having a catalytic converter though.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

What differences would I see in replacing the cat with maybe a universal magnaflow cat and how would I correct the post cat O2 sensor problem?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

it will free up your exhaust gas flow, as far as performance goes i doubt that it will make a noticable improvement although it depends on what other mods you have done. for example if you had a cold air intake, new muffler exhaust headers and y-pipe and the cat was your main restriction then it would probably make a big diffrence. as far as the o2 fix i dont know if their is much that can be done short of a spacific computer tune.