Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: straight pipe

I had straight pipes on my oldexplorer, but ended up putting a flowmaster on. At first it was cool, but after awhile and some long highway trips made me want it quieter. got annoying right quik.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I ran straight duals on my Chevelle for a bit, then put in some glass packs, and finally moved to the Thrush turbo mufflers that are on there now. Very much improved note out of that car now! The bass that comes out of those pipes is amazing now with the current mufflers and no more raspy tones.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM

I went and got my muffler takin off today for scits and giggles today, plus got a tip thrown on. And it actually does sound pretty good with the 4.3. Who knows maybe I won't throw a muffler back on.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
xdieselx3032 is an unknown quantity at this point

im doing it today im cutting the muffler out but im being told that is good to do straight pipes from the cat back because i wont have any back pressure..is this tru? do i need back pressure?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do want backpressure. All modern engines are designed for a particualr level of it. You have to use moderation in the redesign of an exhaust system such as not overly increasing the size of the pipes, not removing all forms of restrictive articles, etc. The old days of just slapping on true dual exhaust pipes to any engine are long gone (if they ever did really exist).
My advice would be don't go bigger than 2.5" exhaust at any point on the pipes, leave the cat in place, stay with a single pipe exhaust,and choose your muffler based on the sound you want.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM

just take the muffler out, then you don't need to worry about sensors and check engine lights.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The last exhaust sensor is before the muffler, so removing it doesn't have any effect on sensors or warning lights.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM

i wasnt pplanning on putting a muffler on i wanted to leave it off cause everyone tells me the straight pipes from the cat back will be louder then my flowmaster 40...but im not worried about sensore my friends just told me with no back pressure i loosing power and im going to blow my engine

Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM
BF Guru

That is correct. It will most certainly be louder! Yes, the lack of backpressure will cost you in low-end torque and hp, but I don't think it's going to blow your engine.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM

i hope not lol cause i dont want to blow my motor over and exhaust....i just want to be sure before i do thi sthat i wont blow anything

Quick Reply: straight pipe