Swiss cheese airbox mod - Page 2 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums


Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Stumpalump is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf71 View Post
Nice, thanks for the pics! Nice tires too! So did you feel or gain anything by doing this?
A little better response when you roll the throttle. Typical lively CAI feel without the sound.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Radar696's Avatar
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 24
Radar696 is on a distinguished road
Default

This looks like something I just might try.
I know I'm little late to this thread but any chance of getting you to post a little more information of just what you did?
I'm also assuming that you just pressed those tubes in so that can remove them if you need to pull out the air-box.

Thanks,
Radar
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM
rriddle3's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth,Texas
Posts: 6,302
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

The program of a vehicle's PCM is set for a predetermined air/fuel ratio. If you start bringing in more air, as signalled by the MAF, without reprogramming the PCM the engine will add more fuel to the mix to keep the same ratio. What have you achieved? More fuel use, same power.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:33 PM
christine_208's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 1,048
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
The program of a vehicle's PCM is set for a predetermined air/fuel ratio. If you start bringing in more air, as signalled by the MAF, without reprogramming the PCM the engine will add more fuel to the mix to keep the same ratio. What have you achieved? More fuel use, same power.
So are the PCM and the fuel/air system set up to account for the air-flow impedance of the stock air intake? I would think that unless air is being forced into the engine via a scoop or compressor (e.g. a turbo or blower), having a greater cross-sectional area for air inlet for the filter box would only mean that the engine does less work to draw in the air so that less fuel is necessary to overcome this resistance. Am I missing something?

Even if I am right, I'd have to look up the impedance of air flow through openings to see if at the air flow of our engines (500 cfm max?) if increasing the cross-sectional area would make a significant difference or not.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Radar696's Avatar
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 24
Radar696 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine_208 View Post
So are the PCM and the fuel/air system set up to account for the air-flow impedance of the stock air intake? I would think that unless air is being forced into the engine via a scoop or compressor (e.g. a turbo or blower), having a greater cross-sectional area for air inlet for the filter box would only mean that the engine does less work to draw in the air so that less fuel is necessary to overcome this resistance. Am I missing something?

Even if I am right, I'd have to look up the impedance of air flow through openings to see if at the air flow of our engines (500 cfm max?) if increasing the cross-sectional area would make a significant difference or not.
Yes Christie,I agree with you.
By doing this you are only allowing an easier airflow into the air filter box itself.
It does nothing to alter the MAF sensors readings.

It's no different than putting in a cold air intake system only, it's a lot less expensive and not as pretty when you lift the hood.
At the same time it will still keep water from splashing up into the underside of the air box.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 PM
newguy's Avatar
BF Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Easthampton, ma.
Posts: 4,152
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default

This will do nothing for performance as these trucks are computer controlled. Any changes will be adjusted back to stock by the pcm
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Radar696's Avatar
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 24
Radar696 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
This will do nothing for performance as these trucks are computer controlled. Any changes will be adjusted back to stock by the pcm
Newguy,

All this does is make it a little easier for the air to get into the air box.
I has nothing to do with the PCM.
I'm not altering anything that will affect the computer system.

If you read earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the size of the OEM inlet into the airbox is smaller than the flex tube feeding the throttle-body.

Radar
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The cheese is old and moldy, where is your bathroom? OAKLEY New Member Area 1 09-30-2016 07:34 AM
Cut airbox, anyone done this? kgkern01 Headers, Intake, & Exhaust 14 07-16-2011 02:15 AM
Swissing airbox Blazerboy1611 General Chat 20 02-25-2010 11:38 PM
Closed Airbox?? jynxK5 Full Size K5 Tech 1 02-15-2009 03:55 PM
airbox mod.. cliro Performance & Brainstorming 8 04-02-2008 08:19 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.