Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Thoughts about single chamber Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member
02BeachBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts about single chamber Mufflers?

I stopped by the local Muffler shop today to get a quote on a simple exhaust system.

New muffler right after cat with turn downs right after the muffler

So i told the dude "All i want it to throw a nice sounding muffler that would give good performance/mpg" and i told him id like something like a flowmaster 40 or 44 series.

He wants to throw a single chamber muffler on there "offbrand" He said it would be loud and have a good tone to it because its a v6.

Hes offering a cheap price of 120$ out the door price. So idk guys im kinda worried about back pressure and loosing horsepower this this muffler.

Any suggestions? and does have a single chamber muffler on thier 4.3 in here either?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

A suggestion I have is don't dump the exhaust under the truck, especially with a loud muffler like a single chamber. Run a tailpipe all the way out the back to reduce drone and to keep exhaust gas out of the cab, it's not even legal to dump the exhaust on anything except a pickup truck and even then it has to exit past the cab. If you like a hidden look, cut it off just before the bumper. It'll have a cleaner sound if you run it all the way back.

Personally what I would do is cut off the muffler only and leave as much of the stock piping as possible, including the tailpipe. Then just have a shop runa cheap glasspack in place of the muffler and have the guy clamp it on. If you don't like it then swap in something else and sell the glasspack. That way you're not commited to one muffler if you don't know how it'll sound. I think a glasspack in the stock exhaust sounds good because the cats and manifolds quiet the exhaust a good bit so a loud muffler like a glasspack isn't so wild but it's cheap.