Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 AM
djbass_mekanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Throttle Body Spacer

regardin the tbs im thinking of getting one soon... i wanted the smooth one, but i want some whistling noise.. so im goin with the jet one..

Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I could make that same thing (without the stupid swirl) for probably around $50 for the complete kit. The only thing that swirl does is create that whistle. Nothing more. Throttle body spacers do work if what you are looking for is more low end torque at the expense of high end torque/power.

I designed and sold TBS kits for Dodge 3.5L & 3.3L v6s and typical gains that I saw through customer reviews of my spacer were a nice kick in the pants off the line and 2-3mpg increase in mileage on the 3.5L and around 1-2mpg on the 3.3L. Not bad for a $50 expense.

The hardest part of these spacers is milling in the o-ring groove. There isn't a paper gasket made for this throttle body.
What is it you do exactly? I guess it depends on what machine you are working on but the o-ring groove wouldn't be a problem unless you are doing this on a bridgeport. I was considering making one of these and a mold for the gasket in class for a project, though I would have just cut it on the hurco. Unless your real quick on a bridgeport it would probably be cheaper to buy one rather then spend the man hours to cut one. Anyhoo, nice to see someone else that is in manufacturing I always feel like the lone guy trying to explain to a bunch of desk jockeys what a die is.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I should have been more clear. With any small quantity production of something, the cost goes up proportional to the complexity. I was merely stating that due to the o-ring groove, the spacer would be more expensive.

I am a currently a manufacturing engineer. I went to school for mechanical engineering and grew up on a cash crop farm where we built whatever was necessary to do the job at hand.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice, thats exactly what I'm going to college for. And yes, understandably so cost will go up on job-shop/small run production I should just drop a VM1 in my garage and I would have halmf the machined parts I want. Now where can a college student find an extra 40K?

Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me man, I wish I had a nice CNC mill. Heck, I'd take a regular bridgeport and a good machinist lathe. At work, I do machine programming on our 2 Doosan VLCs as well as our 2 OKK HMCs. We also have 2 Daewoo HLCs, 2 old Okuma HLCs in a cell with a Haas VMC, and a Mori Seki cell that consists of a Mori Seki HMC and a Mori Seki HLC. But being a production factory with a union...

For those of you wondering what all of the three letter words in caps mean...
Crib Notes:
[ul][*]CNC ==> Computer Numerical Control[*]VLC ==> Vertical Lathe Center[*]HLC ==> Horizontal Lathe Center[*]HMC ==> Horizontal Machining Center[*]VMC ==> Vertical Machining Center[/ul]

Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 AM
gsquared is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently put the Trans Dapt spacer on my K-5. Initial results from very limited data increase of 2.75 MPG. May be several months for accurate data. But if this result holds up it will have paid for itself by the time I'm convinced the data is accurate. I believe some of the gain is due to creating space between the manifold and the TB, less heat. I don't feel any difference in HP.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
britton_michael is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys. i have a '90 S10 Blazer, bored 40 over, dual exhaust, K&N filter, edelbrock air cleaner. i just bought a TB spacer and im having a little trouble making it idle back down. the throttle sticks and i have to pull it back with my foot. i have adjusted the TV cable...but it's still not right. any suggestions, besides ditching the spacer?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 PM
cody32401 is an unknown quantity at this point

is there a spring that might not be hooked up

Old 11-23-2006, 05:33 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: cody32401

is there a spring that might not be hooked up
Possible but I don't think so. This sounds like it might have either a vacuum leak with the TB/Spacer/Intake seals or your TPS and IAC need to be readjusted. Check the computer for codes, it will lead you in the direction you need to go...

Old 11-23-2006, 05:48 PM
00blackblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to readjust your tb spacer. your throttle blade is making contact with the spacer causing it to stick. easy fix. also a tb spacer will do more for your low-mid range torque.

To put it simply, velocity in the combustion chamber makes additional torque. This is the speed at which the air and fuel mixture enters and exits the engine. Increase the speed and you will increase the engine's torque output.

The throttle body spacer adds velocity by effectively improving the vacuum response to the TBI or carburetor. The throttle body spacer, effectively increases the runner length of the intake manifold while at the same time increasing the overall plenum volume.

This, in turn, also acts to prevent any of the air-fuel mixture from hitting the bottom of the intake manifold and bouncing back up to scatter in the intake manifold increasing overall performance and throttle response.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer