Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Two mufflers or dual out muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
juanfpina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
the stock pipe size is 2.25". you could go with a 2.5" outlet make it look a little more agressive
If I replaced the cat and the made the piping 2.5 from the cat all the way to the exhaust, would there be any negative effects?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by juanfpina
If I replaced the cat and the made the piping 2.5 from the cat all the way to the exhaust, would there be any negative effects?
None at all, thats actually where the term "catback exhaust" comes from. Most exhaust systems you can purchase are catbacks.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM

In that case does anyone have any recommendations on a cat? Like I said I plan on running the super 44 single in/dual out with 2.5" all the way through. I might later on upgrade some engine components if I have money left over from my tax refund.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

I got a magnaflo hi flo from summitracing it was like 80 bucks and a good replacement/ better then stock part to replace my original part with not sure if it really made any difference from stock. but sounds good with a delta 40 and 2.5 inch tail pipe

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM

So can I just get a universal high flow cat and any muffler I want? The reason I ask is because when I looked up "blazer cat back exhaust" all I found was kits which already came with the mufflers. Sorry if these are stupid questions, exhausts are something I know next to nothing about.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM

What you'll want to do in your case is exactly what I did. Buy the muffler and cat of your choice, then take them to an exhaust shop. They'll bend some new, bigger pipes to make the rest of your exhaust system. Also, you'll have to decide if you want a chrome or stainless steel exhaust tip, or just a standard exhaust turn down. Tips make no audible difference on your sound really. Its all for looks. I stuck with a turn down since it was cheap and I couldn't find a tip that I liked.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Any recommendations for the high flow cat then? Are they all the same or is there a brand that's known to work well for this engine or muffler?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Phil
What you'll want to do in your case is exactly what I did. Buy the muffler and cat of your choice, then take them to an exhaust shop. They'll bend some new, bigger pipes to make the rest of your exhaust system. Also, you'll have to decide if you want a chrome or stainless steel exhaust tip, or just a standard exhaust turn down. Tips make no audible difference on your sound really. Its all for looks. I stuck with a turn down since it was cheap and I couldn't find a tip that I liked.
Not trying to be a dick but tips actually do make a change in sound. A tip acts like an echo chamber changing the tone of the exhaust and making it deeper. Ive experimented with it many times and it does with and or without it. Same as a diesel with stacks, Take a tractor trailer for example, Yeah its a huge motor but the length and width of their 10" stacks that can fit a basketball pretty much deepen the tone a lot! As an example take the plastic pipe off a leaf blower (something with a larger diameter of the piping) and just as a pure example put it on the end of your tailpipe and listen to how much it becomes deeper with it on and off

Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
Not trying to be a dick but tips actually do make a change in sound. A tip acts like an echo chamber changing the tone of the exhaust and making it deeper. Ive experimented with it many times and it does with and or without it. Same as a diesel with stacks, Take a tractor trailer for example, Yeah its a huge motor but the length and width of their 10" stacks that can fit a basketball pretty much deepen the tone a lot! As an example take the plastic pipe off a leaf blower (something with a larger diameter of the piping) and just as a pure example put it on the end of your tailpipe and listen to how much it becomes deeper with it on and off
Not taken that way at all man, no worries. I'm just going off my personal experience. A friend of mine has a 2001 Jimmy 2dr, same exhaust set up as me except he has a chrome exhaust tip on the end of it. They sound exactly the same. And when I added exhaust tips to my Firebird I heard no difference in the sound at all. Just my experience with tips is all.

juanfpina, I have had good luck with Magnaflow or Catco cats. The Magnaflow cat I have on my Firebird has been on there for 5 years, no problems.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member
drummerdude84 is on a distinguished road

I drove around for over a week with a big crack right after y pipe. I can tell ya,I lost a LOT of torque because of it. You're both right. Too much back pressure can choke an engine. But not enough will lose you power too.

Quick Reply: Two mufflers or dual out muffler