Go Back  Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Modifications > Suspension Tech > Lifting Tech
Reload this Page >

1996 2wd Blazer - raise front by 1" for a bit of tire clearance?

Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

1996 2wd Blazer - raise front by 1" for a bit of tire clearance?

Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Starting Member
GGBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 2wd Blazer - raise front by 1" for a bit of tire clearance?

So I upgraded my tire size to 235/75/15 on my 2wd 1996 Chevy Blazer 2 door, and I'm experiencing some rubbing on the inside when I turn sharply. I really don't want to lift the truck but I also like the size, type, and price of the tires I got (Goodyear Wrangler Radials) so would like to avoid switching if I can. Planning to add 3/16 or 3/8 wheel spacers all around also (hopefully I can get away with 3/16 bc I'm looking to modify to a minimal amount). Anyway, I know a bit about cars but am no mechanic. Can anyone tell me how to get 1" of clearance in the front? I don't think my Blazer has torsion bars, and not sure where to shop for a front ride leveling kit that goes in with the front springs. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:42 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 is on a distinguished road

Where are your tires rubbing? Against the frame when the wheels are turned fully to one side? If so, I would doubt that any sort of lift would help.

When I did about a ~2" suspension lift by readjusting the torsion bars and adding a longer shackle to the rear springs I had the local tire shop test fit 31x10.5R15 tires on my truck but they would rub the frame when the steering wheel was full over. I instead had them install 30x9.5R15 tires and I now can turn as sharp as I want.

As for vertical clearance, do you know if when your suspension is pushed down if the control arms hit the stops before the tread of the tires hit anything else? If the tires hit the fender (or anything) before the control arms hit the stops, then that is the criteria for needing a lift of some sort I would think.

Spacers for the wheels might be your only option. But someone who knows more will have to chime in to help.

Good Luck,

Christine