Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

85 s10 blazer lift questions!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Starting Member
handyman081090 is on a distinguished road
Question 85 s10 blazer lift questions!!!!!!!!!!

Posted this on other forums and here is the original questions by me and my answers. did not post others replys due to forum restrictions.

Hello I have a 1985 s10 blazer with a 93 vortec 4.3 and 4L60E. I am planning on a 4 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension lift soon. The suspension lift will be torsion bar keys and shackles. I am also planning on 35x12.50s on wheels with less backspacing to avoid steering issues. I need to know pretty much everything I need to extend, how to do it, where the best place to get parts/materials (either auto parts store or online), if there are any kits that include everything to extend what is needed and where, ballpark prices on what is needed, and if 35s are possible without chopping fender up. Pretty much the best way to do this lift on a budget. I chose to do the lift in this manner to avoid getting the driveshaft and cv axles out of angle too much to avoid snapping cv axles. I probably won't do much extreme offroading where I would expect to break something. Mostly just mud and sand with occasional rock climbing that would be considered an easy climb. Also wondering if I should hop up the 4.3 a bit or do a 350 swap. I've already got an intake, performance ignition coil, racing plugs, brass distributor cap and flowmaster muffler on the 4.3. Any help would be awesome. Would prefer budget options but if something else is seriously recommended I will consider it just please post why it is recommended over the budget option. Thanks to all who post replies with helpful information.

Someone had suggested the hockey puck lift but if you say it ain't safe could you provide an article or something backing it up? I will seriously consider not doing it even if you can't. Guess I could go with a bought lift unless you have any homemade suggestions.

Ok then why do they sell the 3" torsion bar keys? Not being a smartass that is a serious question. Also would 2" be okay? A 1.5" front suspension lift just sounds silly to me. Waste of time to do just a 1" on the front too.

I guess I could deal with 33s.

I LOVE the 4.3s because you can buy pistons and rods for a 5.7 and they are exactly the same, get them cheaper that way and have 2 extras.

Just looking for help with getting the highest amount of lift without tearing factory stuff up and on a budget. So any homemade or bought suggestions would be considered.

anyone know where i can get a 5.5 inch steering extension for a 3"body lift and 2.5 inch rough country suspension lift which has brackets to drop the front diff? the extension for the steering shaft? Also what else would I have to extend with these types of lifts and how?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i hear the same thing about hockey pucks too but have never seen them fail. the whole theroy is that the rubber breaks down over time and crumbles away. ive seen it in person before, its pretty scary but it seemed to have held the body on the frame. if this is gonna be a street driven truck you have to think of the leverage on those bolts too on a 4inch body lift (also pretty sure its illegal in most if not all states) if you get into a accident the body could come flying off when the bolts break, literally. theres a picture somewhere of that happening but just cant seem to find it.

if its a offroad truck only heck use steel pucks whatever

Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Starting Member
handyman081090 is on a distinguished road

no definitely street truck. just need all the other info that i requested. I'm goin with a rc 2.5" suspension lift and a 3" body lift.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Same answers I gave applies.

I have seen hockey pucks give away and the body bolts fold over. Steering bind, throttle bind, and truck ended up in a tree totaled out. Nothing wrong with a steel or aluminum homemade mount if made right. I have a lathe that I could use but I still bought my body lift.