Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chestypuller
heres a pic i found on the internet, same idea but they used an entire frame, im talking just use the front part, so its like a kit but the measurements are already done and mounts are factory
This is just plain retarded

Originally Posted by newguy
Yep, that will impress everyone
Originally Posted by newguy
Please dont breed
Lol it would impress no one

your ifs lift kits are the same thing but weaker and out of wack dimensions!
IFS kits are made for a reason ..... Of course a SAS is a better setup but not every one has welding skills to put a sas together.....

Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

heres a pic i found on the internet, same idea but they used an entire frame, im talking just use the front part, so its like a kit but the measurements are already done and mounts are factory
What in the world is the point of that? You gain no extra ground clearance. All it's really doing is a body lift, and a freaking ugly one at that. Double frame? Seriously? There is a thread on pirate called something like "ghetto/fab hack jobs." I think I've seen that truck on there.

If you want to cobble something together and drive it strictly off road where you will only kill or injure yourself, that's fine. Go for it. But if you plan to drive on the same roads as my family, you need something much safer than that.

There is a way to put solid axles under our trucks, and it can be safe and stronger than the factory setup. But it requires some really good welding skills, and a little bit of engineering. Not slapping some cut up frame underneath and calling it good.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

that picture is really not much different then a body lift, and if youve ever installed a aftermarket IFS lift you dont really gain any ground clearance as it moves most components down, from torson bars to front subframe and diff.

ive dont a few ifs lifts "superlift" and "rancho" and did SAS to chevy ifs and i can tell you IFS lift kits are pretty flimsy, i usually end up having to weld the kit togeather so they can hold up, in my opinion they are only really good for on road as offroad they are not very strong.

Sas is the way to go if you got some $ or if you got some skills it can be dont affordable.

if you dont got much skills or money then you could do the IFS frame (front) under frame and it would be stronger then a after maket IFS kit if done properly.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

that picture is really not much different then a body lift, and if youve ever installed a aftermarket IFS lift you dont really gain any ground clearance as it moves most components down, from torson bars to front subframe and diff.
No suspension lift will give you any more ground clearance at the differential/axles. They all move the suspension components "down". Doesn't matter if it's solid axle or ifs. The only way to get more distance between your diffs and the ground is bigger tires. I.E. going from a 29" to a 33" will give you 2" of lift at the diffs.

What a suspension lift does that a body lift doesn't is it raises the frame up. You won't be high centering as much on stuff. It would also improve approach/departure angles. Maybe you won't rip your muffler off, or stab a hole in the gas tank.

The only point of a body lift is looks, IMHO. Maybe you can gain clearance for bigger tires, But if you actually get out a wheel the thing with huge tires on it, you'll be eating cv joints every time! And if you ain't afraid to trim a little sheet metal, you don't need near as much lift to clear bigger tires.

I agree, though, the best solution on our trucks for big lift, or large tires is a SAS. If all you want is a couple inches, there's a (relatively) cheap kit for that. Although there is a 5/6" ifs lift, by the time you've paid for it, you aren't that far from a SAS. And with the SAS, you never have to worry about cv joints again!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cleburne red
No suspension lift will give you any more ground clearance at the differential/axles. They all move the suspension components "down". Doesn't matter if it's solid axle or ifs. The only way to get more distance between your diffs and the ground is bigger tires. I.E. going from a 29" to a 33" will give you 2" of lift at the diffs.

What a suspension lift does that a body lift doesn't is it raises the frame up. You won't be high centering as much on stuff. It would also improve approach/departure angles. Maybe you won't rip your muffler off, or stab a hole in the gas tank.

The only point of a body lift is looks, IMHO. Maybe you can gain clearance for bigger tires, But if you actually get out a wheel the thing with huge tires on it, you'll be eating cv joints every time! And if you ain't afraid to trim a little sheet metal, you don't need near as much lift to clear bigger tires.

I agree, though, the best solution on our trucks for big lift, or large tires is a SAS. If all you want is a couple inches, there's a (relatively) cheap kit for that. Although there is a 5/6" ifs lift, by the time you've paid for it, you aren't that far from a SAS. And with the SAS, you never have to worry about cv joints again!
Nice explanation

But I dont think he will get it because he thinks he has a better way up in his head..... But His way is unsafe and plain stupid ... It looks ugly and you get no more frame clearance then stock ....

Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

lets not be crazy now mr.

The problem with IFS lifts is they have drop brackets for the TORSION bar adjusters so you really gain only additional clearance from tires. from the middle of the blazer to the front, from the torsion mount back you get a decent deal tho.

Attached Thumbnails Body lift?-dropbracketlostlift.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

It's funny chesty the same thread and truck that you used as an example also has the easy solution to your complaint!!! Google "real lift torsion bar brackets" everyone and once again chestys point argument is invalid!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road

OK so what lift can I do that needs fab skills every one was talking about as I stated I know how to weld I have two welders and drill press and everything needed to make something. Like I said before my brother went to school for welding.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM
BF Guru

A solid axle swap... Do a search Im sure youll find many threads on this topic.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
A solid axle swap... Do a search Im sure youll find many threads on this topic.
Yes I found many threads but don't see any detailed tut's. I'm guessing from what I see you swap both axels and turn the front end into leaf springs. I got the concept I just need to know what part's will be needed that's why I mean is there a tut. Also just got shackles today putting them on tomorrow and doing a t-bar crank.

Last edited by bdemutis; 03-24-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Body lift?