Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Body lift and Suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by green w/ nv
im looking to do a body lift too, and i was wondering why do it one side at a time? i want to do a 3" body lift and i have seen other posts saying that would be a "safety issue". And sorry to ask allot of questions but does anybody know how to make a home made body lift?
Originally Posted by green w/ nv
another question i have is will i need any longer cable/ lines, etc.?
Please don't hijack other peoples threads to ask your questions. If you have a question do a quick search to see if it's been answered before, and if you don't find an answer then post up your own thread
3" of body lift is pushing it. The standard is 2" since any higher then that and the truck can get a bit tippy. I have seen 3" body lifts on Blazer before, so it's not unheard of.
I would NOT recommend making a home made body lift. I've also seen that done before, and they're more of a safety issue then a 3" lift. The most common way is to place hockey pucks as spacers where your body mounts are and just lenghthen your body mount bolts to adjust for the added height. Again, this is NOT recommended as it raises serious safety issues.
As for the lines, I'm not sure if you'd have to lengthen with a 3" BL or not. I know you do not have to with the 2" one. The lines are long enough to fit 2" of lift in there.

Originally Posted by wlorton
Ok so buying the kit will require some light fab work? I did not know that... How much fab work did yours need?
I don't think there was a lot of fab work, I think the welding was for mounting purposes, but I'll let Dave elaborate since he's done it before.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MuddBunny84
i misunderstood then i dont always read posts thoroughly..i assumed it was almost a step by step..my apologies

Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wlorton
Ok so buying the kit will require some light fab work? I did not know that... How much fab work did yours need?
You need to weld some blocks on the rear diff, weld a blocking plate on the drivers side, and cut/modify the stock control are locations. Oh yea and something else we all forget to mention, the y-pipe on the drivers side needs to be modified as well. Once you drop your front diff down 5", the prop shaft can't be installed because the exhaust y-pipe is in the way. So that has to be cut and reshaped around the prop shaft. So expect to spend maybe another 100.00 to have an exhaust shop do that for you. You can down load the installation instructions on the superlift website so you can get an idea of what is involved.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze
You need to weld some blocks on the rear diff, weld a blocking plate on the drivers side, and cut/modify the stock control are locations. Oh yea and something else we all forget to mention, the y-pipe on the drivers side needs to be modified as well. Once you drop your front diff down 5", the prop shaft can't be installed because the exhaust y-pipe is in the way. So that has to be cut and reshaped around the prop shaft. So expect to spend maybe another 100.00 to have an exhaust shop do that for you. You can down load the installation instructions on the superlift website so you can get an idea of what is involved.
Thanks, I will have to scan em.... there is some welding experience available, but idk what he CAN weld as far as his equipment is concerned

Old 12-25-2009, 11:41 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I think almost any welder can do it. I think the leaf perches were 1/4in and the bracing plate was either 3/16 or 1/4. I have also done both of these. They weren't to bad. Its just time consuming. I did my body lift in a weekend and the suspension lift over the period of a week but that was because i worked all day so i could only work on it at night and on the weekends. Not sure on what all you have for tools but heres a few things i can think off that i used. A jack is a must, quite a few sockets, a torch is nice for removing the rusted bolts, air tools are very helpfull, something to cut preferably a grinder/cutoff wheel, and a buddy to help with some of the heavy stuff.

Last edited by NVANZEE; 12-25-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Well basically he is helping me repair my blazer as it is, we have a few sets of sockets and he has a welder, I am pretty sure we would have most of the tools its just if he would have the time as he is an engineer (train), and for some reason they have the craziest schedules... especially just after Christmas

Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lift

I did my lift myself, it was a 6.5" susp lift and 2" body lift. Having an extra hand always helps but I tackled it in less then two days. Just got to have no care about getting dirty thats all. It's more than worth it. Only ran into a few light problems where fabrication was needed

Last edited by speterson1011; 12-30-2009 at 09:18 PM.