Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

I'm Overwhelmed.. lift shackles

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm Overwhelmed.. lift shackles

I know this has been explained over and over again. But I've read as many threads as i can and im just a little overwhelmed with it all.

I have a 2000 ZR2 and I want to fix the sagging rear, do i need 2in shackles? T-Bar crank? New Shocks? or a combination of the three?

I want to get Shackles, but im not sure if i HAVE to crank the T-Bar too. i think i may... but thats where i get lost. and from there do i HAVE to replace shocks? or no? sorry im beating the dead horse.

thanks guys for your patience and help.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

The t-bars won't help the sagging rear end, in fact if you just do the T-Bars, it'll make the sagging more apparent. The T-Bars adjust the front end only, there are to bolts (one on the driver and one on the passenger side) that can be twisted to adjust the height of the truck. Be careful when adjusting the t-bars as too much adjusting can cause pre-mature wear and tear on front end parts.

As far as the shackles, go for it! But also be aware that a 2" shackle will not give you 2" of lift. (I don't remember the specifics but if my memory serves me right it's something like 1.4" inches of lift from 2" shackles).

As far as shocks, how many miles does your truck have on it? Do you see any oil-type fluids coming from them? How old are they? The sagging could be caused by the shocks, but these trucks are just prone to rear end sagging as well so it may just be a matter of shackles.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks for clearing things up for me.
my truck has about 130xxx miles and i have no clue how old the shocks are. It doesnt ride rough so i imagine they are still good.
I havent noticed any fluids leaking out of them, but then again I havent really been looking.

So bottom line: New shocks if i need them. Will plan on getting shackles, and is there a posibility that the shackles will go from sag to rake? (i guess it all depends on how much sag i have) and in that case I can crank the T-Bar and fix the rake correct?

From what i read a general rule of thumb is 4 turns = 1" and you probably shouldnt go over an inch.

Lastly, shackles dont seem like they would be too hard to install, pretty much bolt up and replace. but any special tools or cautions i should be aware of?

Thanks again

Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I would recommend air tools for the job, but they are not absolute necessity.
It will however make the job go faster.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HcHawks09

So bottom line: New shocks if i need them. Will plan on getting shackles, and is there a posibility that the shackles will go from sag to rake? (i guess it all depends on how much sag i have) and in that case I can crank the T-Bar and fix the rake correct?

From what i read a general rule of thumb is 4 turns = 1" and you probably shouldnt go over an inch.

Lastly, shackles dont seem like they would be too hard to install, pretty much bolt up and replace. but any special tools or cautions i should be aware of?

Thanks again
Correct, T-bars will help rake but do not go over 1-1.5" t-bar crank, you'll wear your front end down quickly.

Shackles can be as hard or as easy as you make out to be. With the proper tools and some friends to help, I'm sure it will be an afternoon project.