Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Parts Question

Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road
Default Parts Question

Please forgive me for my naivete but I am brand spanking new to the 4x4 scene.

I have a 1 1/2 inch lift on the front and 2 inch lift on the back of my 2001 Blazer. I need front sway bar bushings now and eventually front shocks on it.

My questions are
A) Will stock sway bar bushing kits work or do I need aftermarket?
B) I assume that stock shocks won't have the travel necessary to compensate for the lift. Any suggestions on them that won't break the bank?

The truck will be my daily driver but also for sand (with the occasional small rock) beach driving.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Starting Member

No help on this?

Bueller, Bueller?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Stock bushings will work.
As far as a 1.5" lift goes... you can get away with stock length shocks too.
If you decide that you want more lift in the future... go with a 2" body lift.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I put the moog sway bar links just to do it honestly because i take my truck out on smithspoint and it can get extremely rough

Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

1) The stock sway bar bushings will work. You might tear them up quickly depending on how your front end wears and how maxed out it is. That's just the nature of a torsion bar crank on the blazers. But to fix this you need a lot more than an upgraded bushing/link kit.

2) I believe that with that much lift you're going to need longer shocks. The stock ones will work in most circumstances, but you could run into trouble. If you're looking for cheaper shocks check out the ones that superlift or rough country sell to go with their lift kits. For that, give these guys a call www.rockymountainsusp.com. They usually have better prices on the phone than on the site. If you're looking for a really good shock, then find a Bilstein that meets the spec of what you need. Bilsteins will be closer to breaking the bank.

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
I put the moog sway bar links just to do it honestly because i take my truck out on smithspoint and it can get extremely rough
I'm not familiar with this area, but you may want to actually disconnect your sway bars. It will give you better flex and less hop when going over mounds/bumps. That of course is only advice for off road. Sway bars are more for handling performance when going around turns at speeed, not low speed off-roading.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Starting Member

I did a little research and found the KYB mono max. THey may be a little stiffer than a normal shock but I do get a little tire rub on the back side of the front fender over decent bumps. I think these shocks may just limit this a bit. This project gets under way as soon as I can get both of my axles done.

I did go with the Moog sway bar links. They go on tomorrow along with the right side axle.

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
I was out on Burma road in my buddies truck last night. That road is torn the heck up. Too many morons who don't air down especially after the last holiday weekend.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Frankiesurf
I did a little research and found the KYB mono max. THey may be a little stiffer than a normal shock but I do get a little tire rub on the back side of the front fender over decent bumps. I think these shocks may just limit this a bit. This project gets under way as soon as I can get both of my axles done.

I did go with the Moog sway bar links. They go on tomorrow along with the right side axle.

I was out on Burma road in my buddies truck last night. That road is torn the heck up. Too many morons who don't air down especially after the last holiday weekend.
Sweet, Dident know you go out to Smithspoint. Yeah im usually always out there somtimes fishing and or hanging out bbqing. Did you trim your fenders yet and do you rub at all on the top of your fenders? Ive noticed its the aholes with Jeeps that fly everywhere and cuase the ripples in the sand and destoys everything. I cant stand them with a passion! I deff want to meet up one day and go fishing together and get out there

Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

If you're talking about the lower part of the fender and it's while you're turning, you may want to trim the fender a little or at least bend up the corner. Some people with the stock 235/75/15s complain they get slight rubbing there.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TreasonAgainstCaesar
If you're talking about the lower part of the fender and it's while you're turning, you may want to trim the fender a little or at least bend up the corner. Some people with the stock 235/75/15s complain they get slight rubbing there.
Nah I trimmed that front and back a while ago. Its if your hit a nice bump on the beach or have some weight the suspension will flex and my tire will hit the top or the fender and rub. Its not on the corners or front or back at all. I trimmed those back a good 2"s :-) Oh and yeah my tbars are even cranked up