Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Project is underway....a few snags....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road
Default Project is underway....a few snags....

So my 2000 Jimmy (replacement for my totalled 99 blazer) is under the knife.

Front suspension is nearly completely apart... I am having trouble with the Driver's side hub though. Tapping did nothing. My 3-jaw puller isn't having any luck. The half-shaft and hub are good so I don't want to destroy them in the process. What's the trick...?

The passenger-side half shaft needs to come out. I've only taken flanged shafts out. I don't want to break anything so what is the safe way to get it dislodged from the axle tube. I've yanked and hit on it some, but I've been a bit tenative in the effort (not wanting to break stuff).

I've got the rear shocks on, rear sway bar bushings replaced, and the DynoMax cat-back on.

Still on the garage floor:
rear 1.5 shackles
front sway bar bushings
4 new ball joints (only the lowers are loose, but I'm replacing everything).
new tie-rod boots
new front shock boots
new coil
new spark plugs
new tires (Firestone Destination 31x10.50-15s).

I'll need an alignment..... We'll see what clearance is like and then I'll trim some and wait for a body lift later (in the plans, just not now).

I'll swap the lock-rite out of my '94 s-10 truck in the Jimmy's diff once I am sure the spline count on them are the same. I haven't found anything definitive yet and I don't want to open them up just for exploratory surgery.

Still need a front splash shield and tow hooks....

Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Pictures?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And the purpose of THIS THREAD was??

Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Starting Member

bought a larger 2-jaw puller last night and after oiling the threads and head....and much effort...the hub finally popped and slid off. Good gravy that thing was stuck. Was using my long breaker bar and a 2ft crowbar for leverage.

I'll get pictures going soon. I haven't felt well lately so the going is slow.....

Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

spline count changed in '88 from 26 to 28, so unless the axles have been swapped to older ones in your s10, that carrier will work

Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by jsmz
spline count changed in '88 from 26 to 28, so unless the axles have been swapped to older ones in your s10, that carrier will work
THAT sir.....is good news. I hadn't taken much time to research it yet and was hoping someone here would have the knowledge since that is what this place is for.....I thought.

BTW.
UPDATE -
rear shackles are ON. Wow. I took pictures and I need to get them up here. I was very impressed with how much lift I got... The stock bolts were a bugger to get out of the sleeve. I have the tires mounted on the wheels and the rear wheels are on the truck and that end is now supporting itself on the ground.

Now I have the old ball joints off and the a-arms cleaned up so now it's time to start bolting things together. I'm not cleaning everything up perfectly, but am getting the work areas spotless and will address the other stuff later.

The upper ball joints were pretty tight, but the lowers swung like a leaf on a tree. Very loose.

Still need to bolt the front end together.
Plug change
swap coils
swap out speakers
lock-rite swap from my old S-10
align the driver's door
and more....

I'll get the front end done first so it'll be aligned and I can start driving it again.

This thing might actually be FUN when I get done....

Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Starting Member

This is how she is sitting today.... I'll put the new ball joint on this evening and start the bolt-together fest thereafter.

On the rear are 1.5" shackles I got off e-bay.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to add thats a pretty nice one. Ive always been a fan of the jimmys.
Looks you came out ahead on the accident.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Starting Member

Thanks. I liked the blazer more, but this one has more goodies. This one has been in an accident and folks who shouldn't touch vehicles worked on it.

Did you see the picture thread of it post lift...? Still needs a body lift, but its WAY better than it was. I'd like to do the body lift this summer....