Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Rough Country 2.5" Lift long-term satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Rough Country 2.5" Lift long-term satisfaction?

So although I have done a small suspension lift on my Blazer, I find myself wanting to do a larger lift. I installed the Rough Country upper control arms but only did a torsion-bar crank and installed larger rear shackles. I did this partly because I did not want to do anything that could not be undone; i.e. modify the front diff.

What I'd like to know is how the 2.5" RC lifts have been doing over the long-term for people who have installed them. Any regrets? Any parts wearing out earlier than expected?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I’ve had mine on for about 2 1/2 years and only parts I replaced are the upper ball joints but I used the mevotech ttx terrain tough ones and they have held up great. Not sure about the shocks don’t know if they are stiff or it’s my suspension that’s stiff

Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I got a blown shock and had to replace my upper ball joint(which i had to find out which ones they were.. because I dont have the ones everyone else has for some reason...). Only have had it installed since April 2018 I want to say...

Old 02-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Little less than a year and already had to replace the ball joints. Seems to be common with these from what I'm reading. Overall, I still like the lift even if I am sour that newer trucks dwarf me.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cimmerian
Little less than a year and already had to replace the ball joints. Seems to be common with these from what I'm reading. Overall, I still like the lift even if I am sour that newer trucks dwarf me.
Even most Subarus seem to dwarf us in our Blazers! Our Blazers now count as "Compact" SUVs. Still, I can't see a reason to get rid of mine any time soon!

As for the ball joints, yes, I had one fail after I did my smaller lift that I did but with the RC upper control arms. The seal on the ball joint blew and all the grease was lost. I'll be doing an inspection on both of them next time I lift the front end off the ground. (Only after it warms up!)

Old 07-08-2020, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

Ive noticed that..chevy put the frame soooo low. You legit need atleast 2.5 inches of lift to be even with a Cherokee trailhawk or a Subaru crosstrek. Its embarrassing

Old 07-09-2020, 03:04 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 03jawja
Ive noticed that..chevy put the frame soooo low. You legit need atleast 2.5 inches of lift to be even with a Cherokee trailhawk or a Subaru crosstrek. Its embarrassing
That is a good point.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:22 AM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

But atleast we can tow 5000 lbs

Old 09-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

So I've had the shocks that come with the Rough Country lift less than 50k miles and they're already blown out. I don't know if it's because of shoddy manufacturing or because the roads and terrain are rough here but it's still not very encouraging to me.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member
IslandBlazer is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, I know its been a while but is there any way we can get a couple more responses here. I'm thinking or raising my blazer with the RC 2.5" lift but replace the upper suspension ball joints with the mevotech ttx terrain tough ones before installation along with a set of solid shocks (need some good recommendations for those too please). I believe if I replace the upper ball joints and shocks and NOT use the RC parts then I can get away with a solid and reliable lift without running into any problems down the road because of the lift.
I live in Hawaii now and my Blazer has been amazing 4-wheelin out in the lava fields (I've bottomed out maybe 2 times at most, but I'm not going on the most gnarly trails either like the trail to Green Sands) but we will be moving our lives and the truck to Colorado. I want the Lift for the son mainly but I also want to continue the 4-wheelin adventures.
So any suggestions on the lift would be nice

Last edited by IslandBlazer; 09-20-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 2.5" Lift long-term satisfaction?