Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Rough Country 2.5" Lift long-term satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I put the lift in 3 years ago made a huge difference off-roading I do agree with the mevotech ttx ball joints I’d do the lowers while u have it all apart to. I went through the moog uppers constantly untill I put the ttx in and I love them. I think the new kits come with the new n3 shocks I’m still running the 2.0s and they have been holding up ok. I’ve been looking at the rough country n3 shocks as they are cheap or saving for the rancho on rockauto

Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Just remember the maxim, you get what you pay for. Rough Country shocks are definitely on the cheap side of things.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by IslandBlazer
Hey fellas, I know its been a while but is there any way we can get a couple more responses here. I'm thinking or raising my blazer with the RC 2.5" lift but replace the upper suspension ball joints with the mevotech ttx terrain tough ones before installation along with a set of solid shocks (need some good recommendations for those too please). I believe if I replace the upper ball joints and shocks and NOT use the RC parts then I can get away with a solid and reliable lift without running into any problems down the road because of the lift.
I live in Hawaii now and my Blazer has been amazing 4-wheelin out in the lava fields (I've bottomed out maybe 2 times at most, but I'm not going on the most gnarly trails either like the trail to Green Sands) but we will be moving our lives and the truck to Colorado. I want the Lift for the son mainly but I also want to continue the 4-wheelin adventures.
So any suggestions on the lift would be nice
You will want to use the RC upper control arms because otherwise the geometry for the front wheels is all off and you'll burn through upper ball joints even faster.

I used just the upper control arms, 2" shackles in the rear but not the brackets for relocating the front axle nor the RC torsion bar keys. I was able to reuse my rear shocks since they are goofy self-leveling ones with goofy (yet stock springs) and Super Lift front shocks.

My regrets are not using the RC (or any really) new torsion bar keys so that I would have a bit more adjustment and better front shocks. From driving around today on some rough roads they worked passably but when these go, I'll be getting better ones.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:46 AM
Beginning Member
IslandBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hadyss
I’ve had mine on for about 2 1/2 years and only parts I replaced are the upper ball joints but I used the mevotech ttx terrain tough ones and they have held up great. Not sure about the shocks don’t know if they are stiff or it’s my suspension that’s stiff
Is there any way you can send me a link of the exact upper ball joints you used? I want to replace the faulty parts while I have the truck apart for the suspension installation.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:50 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
You will want to use the RC upper control arms because otherwise the geometry for the front wheels is all off and you'll burn through upper ball joints even faster.

I used just the upper control arms, 2" shackles in the rear but not the brackets for relocating the front axle nor the RC torsion bar keys. I was able to reuse my rear shocks since they are goofy self-leveling ones with goofy (yet stock springs) and Super Lift front shocks.

My regrets are not using the RC (or any really) new torsion bar keys so that I would have a bit more adjustment and better front shocks. From driving around today on some rough roads they worked passably but when these go, I'll be getting better ones.
right. I'll use the RC upper control arm, I'm thinking about trading out the upper ball joints. Sorry I maybe mixed that up.

I was also thinking about switching out the RC N3 shocks with some better name brand shocks..but I am not too knowledgeable with shocks quite yet. I hope that will change in time.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

right. I'll use the RC upper control arm, I'm thinking about trading out the upper ball joints. Sorry I maybe mixed that up.

I was also thinking about switching out the RC N3 shocks with some better name brand shocks..but I am not too knowledgeable with shocks quite yet. I hope that will change in time.
You should be able to find out what ball joints RC uses and then cross reference them to get ones from the manufacturer you prefer.

I will likely go this route but only when the current Moog ones are worn out.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:54 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

I'm having a bitch of a time finding shocks that will fit my Blazer that aren't Procomp, Superlift, and RC. I'm debating just chancing it and buying the OEM Bilsteins that ZR2s come with but I can't find definite information online if they can fit a non ZR2 Blazer. All I know is that my current RC ones are garbage and the other two brands I listed have terrible reputations.

Last edited by Cimmerian; 09-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

Is there any way you can send me a link of the exact upper ball joints you used? I want to replace the faulty parts while I have the truck apart for the suspension installation.
I used the mevotech ttx txk6540 ball joints for a 2000 Sierra 1500 they are the size used in the rough country control arms got them from rock auto and they are super strong I find the stronger then the moog

u will need a press kit to remove the old ones and install the new ones and there is a c-clip inside holding them In

Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Hadyss
I used the mevotech ttx txk6540 ball joints for a 2000 Sierra 1500 they are the size used in the rough country control arms got them from rock auto and they are super strong I find the stronger then the moog

u will need a press kit to remove the old ones and install the new ones and there is a c-clip inside holding them In
This might be a dumb question but are those ball joints sure to work for my 2001 4D 4WD Blazer? I went to rockauto and put in the truck info and it lead me to a different upper ball joint. Same company that makes it but it looks completely different. But the ones you showed me you say fit into the RC lift kit? Even though it’s for a Silverado 1500? Thanks again for the link and the info

Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

This might be a dumb question but are those ball joints sure to work for my 2001 4D 4WD Blazer? I went to rockauto and put in the truck info and it lead me to a different upper ball joint. Same company that makes it but it looks completely different. But the ones you showed me you say fit into the RC lift kit? Even though it’s for a Silverado 1500? Thanks again for the link and the info
the 6540 are the ball joints used in the rough country upper control arms for the s10 blazer

Quick Reply: Rough Country 2.5" Lift long-term satisfaction?