Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Shocks for Lifted Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default Shocks for Lifted Trucks

Okay,

So right now I have a 2 inch body lift on the blaze. I know body lifts and shock lengths have nothing to do with each other. But I will probably eventually get more lift added on. Between 1.5 and 2.5 more inches (t-bar or rough country 2.5) is what I was looking at getting eventually. But yesterday I think my front right shock bottomed out and I heard it make a noise, kind of like a quick pop or crunch or something when I went over a pretty big bump. This bump is actually pretty huge and the blaze has its hind end up when the front nose dives over the bump. That's how big of a bump it is.

But anyways, I wanted to get some Rancho RS5000s but with a longer than stock shock length since I plan to lift eventually. Where do you get lifted shocks at? Or should I not worry about getting lifted shocks and go with stock height Rancho's? Because according to Rancho's website, they only have shocks for stock height blazers. Any help on this issue?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

I would say with the RS5000's you should be just fine. I got a long AAL for mine and a t-bar crank in the front, and my rear end sits much higher than the front (see sig), a lot more than I would like anyway. The AAL gave me around a 2 or 2.5" lift in the back and the Rancho's hold up just fine with no problems from what I can see. Personally I would say go for it from my experience, but I certainly wouldn't want to test the waters with any more lift than 2.5" on those 5000's IMO

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by 99LS4x4ryanlw
I would say with the RS5000's you should be just fine. I got a long AAL for mine and a t-bar crank in the front, and my rear end sits much higher than the front (see sig), a lot more than I would like anyway. The AAL gave me around a 2 or 2.5" lift in the back and the Rancho's hold up just fine with no problems from what I can see. Personally I would say go for it from my experience, but I certainly wouldn't want to test the waters with any more lift than 2.5" on those 5000's IMO
That's what I'm worried about though. I need some travel in the shock when I go offroading. And when I end up getting another lift eventually and then take it offroading, probably won't have much room for the shocks to travel.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tibby
That's what I'm worried about though. I need some travel in the shock when I go offroading. And when I end up getting another lift eventually and then take it offroading, probably won't have much room for the shocks to travel.
I can't say for sure about the travel, but the bump you described in your first post is about the same as one of the bumps that I run across every day going to class with no problems, but that's kinda like comparing apples to oranges when it comes to off-roading though. I would say from what I can tell there shouldn't be much trouble, but you are probably better off safe than sorry when it comes to the Rancho's and see what else you could find...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Im looking into these

Pro Comp Suspension Systems 924509 - Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

they are made for the 2 inch suspension lift

Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Default .

I've done more research since posting and am almost set on Monroe Reflex shocks. They are a combo between stiff when you offroad and smooth on the highway. I was looking at the Rancho 5000s for the longest time, but heard the ride was stiff all the time. I think the Monroe Reflex shocks are my best bet. =P

I may hold off on getting longer shocks now if I get these. I didn't plan on getting a ifs lift for a little while anyway. I'll update yall later on what I do, but most likely the Monroe Reflex is what I'll get.