Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Spring sag...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spring sag...

Hello,
I have a mundane, but annoying problem. Perhaps there is a simple solution. My driver side is 2” lower than passenger side. As this condition developed slowly, it is probably the result of 175,000 miles of commuting with a driver and no passenger.
I put in air shocks with separate fills, but even 80 lb vs. 30 lb does not correct the problem.
Would it help to switch the springs: passenger side with driver side? Then the passenger side would be higher, but with a driver and no passenger, maybe it would be level.
I realize I could lower the passenger side, but I like the stock height (or a little higher), rather than lower.
Money is an object, I hope for a safe, but inexpensive fix.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Chris95 Blazer 4X4

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Spring sag...

4wd blazers use torsion bars instead of the traditional coil spring. there are adjusting bolts for the torsion bars which allow for approximately 2" up or down on either side. i just recently cranked mine a little bit to level it out side to side and front to back.

the only cost associated with a t-bar crank is the cost of an alignment.

when you adjust the torsion bars, it will increase the CV angle and can lead to increased wear on the front end suspension (esp. balljoints). if you use the 4WD a lot, the wear and tear will be little worse

HERE is some more info. if you read to the end, Jigg posted pictures and a how-yo

Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Hello Otnietdehoooo,
That sounds promising. This could work on the rear?
My front is level; the rear is where my problem is.
Thank you,
Chris

Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

no that wont work on the rear. i thought you meant the front was sagging.

you could buy shackles which are meant to lift the rear and then just install one of them. it may look strange from behind but theres a chance it would work. a safer option would probably be to just get new springs.

i dont know as much about the rear susp so maybe someone else can help you out a little more

Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

do not use only one shackle, this would look funny as heck. replace your leaf springs, or just do the add a leaf setup.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Thank you Matt and Cliro,
Add a leaf sounds interesting. Are single leafs sold? Looks like it would be a little pesky taking it apart, though.
Am I nuts or about 30 years ago didn't JC Whitney sell wedges you could insert to lift weak springs? Maybe switching left for right is a good idea after all. In a few years she will be level again. In the mean time the stronger spring will be under the gas tank and me.
I am satisfied with the ride and clearance.
I appreciate your thoughts,
ChrisEgret

Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran

they come with 2 single leafs. one for each side. you add them to the existing springs. HERE is a kit from Summit Racing. gain 1.5-2.5" height for $80

it probably wouldnt be a good idea though to add it to just one side. you would have a different spring rates which could possibly cause other problems. are you sure theres not a broken spring in there or maybe somethings not connected right?

the safest way to go, IMO would probably be to buy totally new springs.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM

Hmmm... I did price new springs a year ago.
Perhaps something is broken, although I do not see it with casual and in experienced inspection. If so my oil-brake and muffler tech, who put in the air shocks, missed it.
I have a very good alignment mechanic scheduled to soon replace my steering pump and rack. I will ask his advice while I take into consideration your thoughts.
Thank you again.Chris

Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

I have air shocks on both my Blazers ...

Zed

Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

Rule of thumb for suspensions. Never change springs or shocks on just one side, do both sides.

Quick Reply: Spring sag...