Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Spring sag...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
myronhntr80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spring sag...

Could not agree more. If you beef up spring load on one side only you are asking for major problems. Driveability issues, and wear and tear to other components. NOT a good idea. Go all or nothing.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Egret is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
My alignment technician looked at the springs and confirmed nothing is broken; just wear on the driver’s side. In fact, that spring is noticeably flatter. He felt a sane person would replace both springs at a cost of about $600. Considering I just put $700 into the steering, it isn’t really an option now.
I have since also seen $50 Hellwig leaf spring adjustable helpers (see the JC Whitney goggle hit), which might work. I wonder if anyone has heard of an experience with them?
Finally I am thinking about installing new springs as a Do-It-Your-Self project to save money. It looks EZ. Of course I would be doing it on a concrete floor from under the car. Are the springs under compression or tension? In other words, if I just undo all these bolts will they slip out? Will I have to use force to line up the new ones? I won’t be able to push very much from on my back and underneath.
I additionally am toying with the idea of putting them back on top of the axle instead of under for a little all rear end lift. Is that also as EZ as it looks? Does it mess up other adjustments or create complications I don’t foresee?
Thanks again,
Chris
'95 Blazer 4X4

Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Was the $600 including the new springs and labour? Don't flip the springs that will give you like 4" of lift. You would have to weld on new spring perches. Check online for new spring packs, I thought JC had some. R&R on the springs is pretty easy. Try to unbolt the u-bolts over axle housing, if not just cut them off. You will need to replace the u-bolts anyways. I support the diff with either a jack or some ratcheting straps to support it. Then you just have to remove the bolts that hold the springs in. They can become seized inside the bushings, so you might need to spray them first with a lube. Also might need a BFH and a punch to get the bolts out. I found that rotating the bolts back and forth and then hammering them out worked pretty well. I had my rear springs re-arched by a local spring shop. They added a little lift and match all the springs together. They also added in another leaf, but unlike an add a leaf it won't make the ride harsh (was about $350 total). This is deff a DIY job that you should be able to handle.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Springs shouldn't cost you that much...

As far as the swap goes, a hot wrench (a.k.a. torch) makes short work of the removal of the u-bolts. Air tools would make removal of the rest of the components easy as well, but it can be done with simple hand tools.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Was the $600 including the new springs and labour? Don't flip the springs that will give you like 4" of lift. You would have to weld on new spring perches. Check online for new spring packs, I thought JC had some. R&R on the springs is pretty easy. Try to unbolt the u-bolts over axle housing, if not just cut them off. You will need to replace the u-bolts anyways. I support the diff with either a jack or some ratcheting straps to support it. Then you just have to remove the bolts that hold the springs in. They can become seized inside the bushings, so you might need to spray them first with a lube. Also might need a BFH and a punch to get the bolts out. I found that rotating the bolts back and forth and then hammering them out worked pretty well. I had my rear springs re-arched by a local spring shop. They added a little lift and match all the springs together. They also added in another leaf, but unlike an add a leaf it won't make the ride harsh (was about $350 total). This is deff a DIY job that you should be able to handle.
Hey - while I was replacing my spark plug wires last weekend, I also did a quick inspection of the undercarriage and noticed that my leaf springs are also sagging in the back. I figure since I'm going to replace 'em anyway, I'll do the lift at the same time. (So I'll give the 'Vette rims to my wife's Jimmy and put 31's on my other rims. )

Jason, aren't you the guy that fabbed up your own U-bolts? I'll buy some from you, if you're still making 'em.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

i've found some rough country shocks at $35 each and add-a-leaf set for $45 here r the links respectively:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003409/c-10101

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003409/c-10101

those should help u save money and its pretty easy to install shocks so u could do em ur self and save money just search around on here for the installation if u need help

Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

You're the man! Thanks!