Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

tbar crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member
19jimmy99 is on a distinguished road
Default tbar crank

i have been reading all about doin the tbar crank on here so i thoug i would have alook under my jimmy and i found that one of the bolts i am suposed to turn is all the way in and the other is all the way out what the hell is with that i figured i better not touch anything until somebody could clear that up for me.......can anyone

Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like one of your tbars is plum worn out. Or, you could have something else going on with the front end on that side.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Do the front left and right side sit at the same height? I have never seen adjusting bolts that far apart before. You may need to install a new or used set of matched torsion bars.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

All GM T series, (4wd), Pickup, Bravada, Jimmy, and Blazer vehicles incorporate a torsion bar front suspension. The forward end of the torsion bar fits into a socket in the lower control arm. The rearward end fits into an adjuster that is mounted in the mid-ship cross member. Torsion bars develop lift by twisting the bar itself. Increasing or decreasing the tension, (twist) on the torsion bars is how front ride height is adjusted. Ride height is the vertical distance between the lower-most inboard point of the steering knuckle, nearest the ball joint, to the center of the lower control arm pivot bolt. Torsion bars are designed to lift a given amount of weight a given distance. There is a range of motion that they operate within when the front end jounces and rebounds. When the body travels downward, the stress, (twist) on the torsion bar increases. This brings the stress level closer to it’s maximum. Too much stress, (twist) and the bar will break, much like holding both ends of a pencil and twisting in opposite directions simultaneously.

Increasing front ride height above factory specifications increases the tension, (twist) on the bars and will narrow the range that they operate in due to the added stress. At best you'll shorten the life of the bars, at worst they'll break. Increasing or decreasing front ride height out of factory specs adds stress to all 4 CV joints, all 4 ball joints, and to both of the outer tie rod ends. They all have a range of motion that they are designed to operate within. Keeping front ride height within specs keeps all of the components within their range of motion. In short, you're asking for trouble when front ride height is above or below factory specifications.

Rear ride height, like front ride height, also has a specification. To keep weight distribution correct for handling and safety reasons, rear ride height needs to be within factory specs. Over time, not miles, leaf springs sag. Typically by the time a vehicle is 10 years old, the springs have sagged to the point that rear ride height is out of spec. The sag will cause weight to shift from the front to the rear of the vehicle. The weight shift will affect front ride height, camber, caster and toe in. Check rear ride height first: There is no adjustment, if it’s low, the springs need replacement. Bring the vehicle to a spring shop and have them repair it. Afterwards, check the front ride height and adjust the torsion bars if/as necessary, and then align the front end.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member

yes it seems to ride right from side to side.......where should both bolts roughtly be to be rideing factory height and how hard is it to install new t bars??

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Torsion bars adjust chassis ride height, it has nothing to do with how the body sets on the chassis.

Ride height is the vertical distance between the lower-most inboard point of the steering knuckle, nearest the ball joint, to the center of the lower control arm pivot bolt.

If the adjusters are set differently, like yours, it means someone adjusted ride height and one of the bars is weak, or, someone adjusted it that didn't know what they were doing. Either way, best to have it checked by a reputable front end shop.

Replacing torsion bars can be very dangerous. I would suggest getting a shop manual, (not Haynes or Chilton) or take it to a professional.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Beginning Member

al right great thanks for the help guys i guess i am takeing it to get looked at