Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

torsion bar key lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013 | 07:08 AM
|
Beginning Member
fixrupr95 is on a distinguished road

so ive decided on flipping my upper control arms...do i need to swap sides with them like right goes on left when flipped vice versa? or just flip and keep on right and/or left side?

Old 02-14-2013 | 09:16 AM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fixrupr95
so ive decided on flipping my upper control arms...do i need to swap sides with them like right goes on left when flipped vice versa? or just flip and keep on right and/or left side?
No. No sides swapping is needed

Old 02-14-2013 | 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Please do more research you don't seem to understand what hes talking about with the ball joint flip at all! You don't move the control arms at all they are the exact same on both sides of the vehicle. A ball joint flip is moving the ball joint from its factory location (top mounted on the control arm) to the new location (bottom mounted on the control arm) To do this correctly you need to get spacers to put between the control arm and the ball joint to correct the angle.

Old 02-18-2013 | 12:06 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Please do more research you don't seem to understand what hes talking about with the ball joint flip at all! You don't move the control arms at all they are the exact same on both sides of the vehicle. A ball joint flip is moving the ball joint from its factory location (top mounted on the control arm) to the new location (bottom mounted on the control arm) To do this correctly you need to get spacers to put between the control arm and the ball joint to correct the angle.
You don't need spacers to do that flip. I did mine with no spacers. I'll post pics of mine later

Old 03-09-2013 | 06:54 PM
|
Beginning Member

so about to do the control arm flip and have one more question. what part am I flipping because when I took the tire off I saw like four different parts and got confused... help! the pictures I took of it are in my album

Old 03-10-2013 | 12:38 PM
Starting Member

so about to do the control arm flip and have one more question. what part am I flipping because when I took the tire off I saw like four different parts and got confused... help! the pictures I took of it are in my album
The photos you posted are too small to see any details! :P
Anyway, here's a photo of the ball joint you need to "flip". It's done by removing the ball joint (by unbolting its small bolts on top and the big bolt on its lower tip) and installing it in its hole from underneath the control arm, instead of dropping it down in the hole. The ball joint is the one pointed at with a pink arrow in one of the photos.

Here are other photos of how my Blazer stands straight after a proper front alignment with 265-70 R15 tires.

Attached Thumbnails torsion bar key lift-finaloutput.jpg   torsion bar key lift-img_20130215_104519.jpg   torsion bar key lift-img_20130215_104837.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013 | 04:46 PM
|
Beginning Member

okay i se what your saying now and how long would this take?

Old 03-12-2013 | 03:12 PM
Starting Member

okay i se what your saying now and how long would this take?
It depends on your tools (not much tools needed) and skills, but I think between 45 minutes and 2 hours max.

Old 03-12-2013 | 03:50 PM
|
Beginning Member

any special tools needed?

Old 03-12-2013 | 05:02 PM
Starting Member

any special tools needed?
No, no special tools needed, but you'll have to put the truck on a jack-stand as you work on it and will need to use the jack to lift the steering knuckle to facilitate the installation. If you're not sure you can do it alone, don't. And don't forget to do a front alignment after you finish.

Quick Reply: torsion bar key lift