Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

01 jimmy headlights work intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:51 PM
4.3 vortec is on a distinguished road
Default 01 jimmy headlights work intermittent

I recently bought a jimmy for 550 bucks with only 116000 miles. It needed intake gaskets which I have done but also has something with the headlights they will be working and quit you hit the steering wheel and they start working again. Any ideas

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
4.3 vortec is on a distinguished road

Please someone has to know something!!

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member
Jason Nowell is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my 99 Blazer, only now they won't come on at all, even in manual mode. I found that jiggling the wiring harness up under the brake pedal will sometimes work, so my guess is that it is somewhere in the wiring in that area but I haven't found it yet. I will let you know if I do and you do the same please.

Jason

Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that there is an issue inside the multi-function switch that controls the high/low beam function as well as the turn signal, hazard, and wiper functions. It is not typical for the MF switch to have a problem with the headlights. Most common problems with the MF switch manifest with turn/hazard/brake light issues. But that is only speculation based on the point you made about being able to hit the steering wheel to get them working again. The impact could be jarring something in the various wiring and relays associated with the headlight circuit as well.

You could test the switch for intermittent connections using a multi-meter. I have posted the wiring diagrams for most of the 2nd gen headlight layouts in the past. I know there is a schematic in the Quad Headlight Mod thread that covers the 98+ non-ZR2 trucks as well as a different one in the 2001 headlights not working thread.

In a few searches for schematics (including the 2nd thread linked to above), I did turn up a few results for INOP headlights and a few users have had luck replacing the headlamp grounding relay which is located in the relay block under the driver side dash. Details for the body relay block can be found in the Headlights don't work help thread.