Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1989 Blazer Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
goaler29 is on a distinguished road
Default 1989 Blazer Wipers

Just got S-10 Blazer 4X4 4.3L and wipers have started to behave erratically - when they do anything at all.
When I first turned on wipers, blades went all the way to top of arc - and stayed there.
After I drove a few miles, noticed some slow downward movement and a gradual return to normal sweep.
Next time I tried wipers, same result.
Pulled plug and cleaned terminals with dielectric grease.
Yesterday experienced same problem and local mechanic told me it sounded like I had moisture in wiper control box.
Took box cover off this morning and blew hot air onto circuit board. No change.
Pulled circuit board and found no obvious moisture. Put dielectric on connection prongs,
Turned wipers on, but no movement.
Power is going to motor because mist unit works.
Is the motor or circuit board just plain shot?
Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:44 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with my 98 Blazer 4x4. My wipers worked when they wanted... I found by replacing the wiper pulse board, which I found on youtube videos, fixed the problem, they work like new now. The part was not expensive, want too say $25/$30 bucks and I fixed it myself, pretty simple... Hope this might help.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you already own a decent soldering iron, you could reflow the solder joints for free as shown in THIS THREAD I created quite a while ago.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM

Thanks very much for taking the time. Seems like the board is likely culprit, as I've found similar wiper posts and that was approach they used. Found board for $34 shipped, but will also see if I can solder the original board as a backup. Was pretty easy to take apart, so hopefully a simple solution. These forums are great resources.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I agree, this forum is a blessing! I forgot too mention earlier that I bought a new turn signal switch before I found out about the wiper pulse board. It wasn't the turn signal switch obviously but it did fix my cruise control which was not working when I bought the vehicle... A little pricy though, $160 bucks from AutoZone if I remember correctly.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:35 PM

Just received new Dorman wiper circuit board, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. May well be the wiper motor, switch or both.
Thanks for reply. Any other comments welcomed.