Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1993 GMC jimmy S15 rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default 1993 GMC jimmy S15 rear defroster

On my 1993 Jimmy (I had this SAME problem on my '94 blazer)
As you know, the rear defroster wire attaches to the base of the strong arm for the rear window, and then sends current through the strong arm to the defrosters on the glass. Well the little metal bracket on the strong arm broke, and I am not sure how to fix this. Someone said solder it, But I also read somewhere that there is some kind of putty that can be used.

Why the heck did GM decide to attach the wire for the defrost to the strong arm for the rear window, that is a terrible location!
I can get a photo of what I am talking about tomorrow.

*edit*
To be clear, its not the wire that attaches to the glass, its the wire that attaches to the strut. Seems like this is a pretty common problems. because of this design flaw

Last edited by richphotos; 01-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
blazer_grl is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same problem currently but I haven't gotten around to taking care of it. I too am curious as to how to fix this problem. >.>

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Its all too common! I already said this, but their design on this is just a terrible idea. I use the back of my truck a lot, So I am opening the glass a lot, so I can see this being a "regular" thing to fix until summer when I do not need the rear def

I hope someone is able to help!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of vehicles pass current through the lift support. I wouldn't call it a design flaw. You are dealing with an almost 20 year old vehicle. It is somewhat irrational to expect everything to last in perpetuity.

As far as fixing it, it really depends on where it came off of, but I would try soldering it first. Just don't go heating up the shock too much or it could result in a rather energetic release of energy!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Why you never throw away coil cord with any power handling capacity. I never had a vehicle with this but a co-worker showed me his fix years ago.
He cut off the coil cord from old set of headphones.. two equal length, soldered the three {approx} 20 ga wires together and installed them around the struts, strut in center of coil. He claimed his struts weren't lasting long because the defroster current pitted them.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swartlkk
A lot of vehicles pass current through the lift support. I wouldn't call it a design flaw. You are dealing with an almost 20 year old vehicle. It is somewhat irrational to expect everything to last in perpetuity.

As far as fixing it, it really depends on where it came off of, but I would try soldering it first. Just don't go heating up the shock too much or it could result in a rather energetic release of energy!
You make a good point, I was not aware that other vehicles did it this way, since i have only owned first gens.
Thanks for the tip, I will give soldering an attempt