Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1999 Chevy Blazer LT alarm going off by itself for no apparent reason?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member
julioAKAjunior is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Chevy Blazer LT alarm going off by itself for no apparent reason?

Ok so last night it went off like 2 or 3 times. Today this afternoon its done it like twice. I don't know what is causing that, I've turned off the dome lights to see if that help and still. When I got home from school around 3pm I locked it with the remote, about 4hrs later it went off. Then locked it with the inside buttons, 1hr or so later it went off!!

Can anybody help me with this?

(If I wasn't very clear, please ask me questions)

Thank you!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a flaky door switch triggering the alarm. Turning off the dome lights is just masking a symptom. If the dome lights are coming on, it's because a door switch is completing the ground loop on the circuit. That is tied into the alarm (or content theft deterrent system to be more precise) as well.

I would check all of the door switches and make sure that they all are properly installed and that none are bent over or out of place. A '99 with CTD would also have switches in the front door latches themselves and possibly not have any wiring run to the switches off either end of the dash. You may need to remove the door panel & weather shield to get at the latch & switch.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member
julioAKAjunior is on a distinguished road

I'm not too techy or much of mechanic to do this, is there any place I can take it to get checked? (Like Goodwrench?) If so for how much do you think?