Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1999 Steering Wheel Radio Control LEDs

Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Sweet info and thanks , I see the left side is out on mine ....Ill deal with it when it comes back from the body shop.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Not to high jack the thread, but can those controls be fitted to my blazer? I found an 01 with them. Mine is an 02 and didn't come with those.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Remote Radio Controls wiring at Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Not to high jack the thread, but can those controls be fitted to my blazer? I found an 01 with them. Mine is an 02 and didn't come with those.
In principle if the radios interchange I bet it could be done.

I've attached the schematics for the system from my 1999.

If there is an unused wire harness behind the airbag, with 4 small wires (0.5 mm^2 = 20 awg) (YEL, GRY, GRN, BLK) then you might be good to go. Note that the switches are surrounded by a cover for the far side of the wheel closest to the front of the vehicle that is specific to those wheels with the remote controls, at least on mine.

From the common connector (C201) for the remote controls, the wires are split into ones for both sides (C1, right and C2, left) where two more wire colors (LT GRN and WHT) are used.

It looks like the signals to the radio from the controls are delivered on a single wire. It appears that the type of command is determined by the voltage on that wire which is determined by the resistor put into series with the 12V.

The connector indicated by the green line is the main connector for the remote radio controls. The connector surrounded blue is for the right hand side controls. There is a similar one on the left. The plastic piece indicated by the brown line is the part of the far-side steering wheel cover that encloses the side of the switches.

Forgive my poor quality picture. I did not realize the poor quality until I went to find one to post.
Left side

Last edited by christine_208; 02-13-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add title
Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Very good. Thank you. Now to go back and get them!

Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Very good. Thank you. Now to go back and get them!

Yes, keep us posted. I'm sure people would be interested in learning how to retrofit these.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

My 04 didn't originally come with the controls, I retrofitted them into it from a steering wheel that I found in a full size Yukon Denali that I found in a junk yard. I moved the wheel with the controls over and the clock spring, and grabbed some of the harness in the column for it too so I had some wire to work with. I hooked mine up to an aftermarket adapter for a Pioneer deck from the start though, so I couldn't begin to tell you how to hook it up to a factory radio though lol.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 AM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yes, keep us posted. I'm sure people would be interested in learning how to retrofit these.
Yes! This is definitely something I've been wanting to do.
Thanks, guys!

Old 02-21-2018, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
My 04 didn't originally come with the controls, I retrofitted them into it from a steering wheel that I found in a full size Yukon Denali that I found in a junk yard. I moved the wheel with the controls over and the clock spring, and grabbed some of the harness in the column for it too so I had some wire to work with. I hooked mine up to an aftermarket adapter for a Pioneer deck from the start though, so I couldn't begin to tell you how to hook it up to a factory radio though lol.
Nice to know it can be done this way too.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Been expanding on this idea for a couple days now in some spare time in the afternoons. I removed some SMD LED's from some busted tail lights in the junk yard and repurposed them I'm changing my interior lighting to RED so these LED's should be easy to find lol.

Not a lot of extra room in the switch assembly itself, so I'm just going to put a resistor in line in the harness in the wheel to step the voltage down for the LED's. All I need to do is modify the harness with the resistors and then these babies are ready to drop in.

Be working on the window and dash switches next.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Been expanding on this idea for a couple days now in some spare time in the afternoons. I removed some SMD LED's from some busted tail lights in the junk yard and repurposed them I'm changing my interior lighting to RED so these LED's should be easy to find lol.

Not a lot of extra room in the switch assembly itself, so I'm just going to put a resistor in line in the harness in the wheel to step the voltage down for the LED's. All I need to do is modify the harness with the resistors and then these babies are ready to drop in.

Be working on the window and dash switches next.
Very nice! I like the color.

Have you tested if the dimming control works for your combination of LED and resistor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Steering Wheel Radio Control LEDs