Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1999 Steering Wheel Radio Control LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have not, haven't installed yet, but I intend to this weekend. I'm not all too concerned with the dimming function working, I always run my interior lights at full brightness or off :P But I intend to install them this weekend and find out! I just snipped the harness and soldered in line the resistors and it's working on the test bench (aka my computer desk lol), so all I need to do is plug and bolt them in. I actually re-used the resistors that were in the tail light assemblies that I robbed the LED's from lmao 330ohm each to run 2 SMD LED's in parallel that need 2.4v @ 20ma each. I think the 330ohm is actually going to keep them a little dimmer than full brightness. Calculating to run at 14v I only needed a 290ohm, but 330ohm is the closest available I could have powered all 4 off a single 150ohm resistor, but I had the 330's on hand already

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-09-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:06 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Your last post reminded me of how the original bulbs on the side that worked on mine and the ones I used to replace the original ones were a bit dimmer than those on the dash. I wondered if that was intentional by the engineers so as to not distract the driver.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:33 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Got them installed today, and they work great!

Not a hole lot of "dimming" function with them. At the absolute lowest setting with the dimmer wheel, they outshine everything else lol but they do dim some through the sweep.

All in all, I'm happy with it though. Now I just need to finish with the rest of the red LED conversion

Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 AM
Beginning Member
Speed003 is on a distinguished road
Default LEDs

all the Led bulbs I have put in dim just fine just plug and play

Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Speed003
all the Led bulbs I have put in dim just fine just plug and play
What LEDs did you use? Most need a resistor in series to get the current down to a proper value.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member
Smile Leds

Christine_208, My 2000 does not have steering wheel controls so haven't gone there, but I have replaced the gauge cluster to blue LEDS, had to order new sockets (T10 size sockets) as the factory white lites are soldered in and even if you break the bulb and clean it out those sockets don't have any conductors for new bulbs, and for my heater controls I used I used halogen red bulbs because the LEDS leave voids because the are so small. Attaching pics of my dash and what I bought from yitamotors on Ebay for LEDS and sockets and the halogen bulbs from cn-batteries, all dim just fine. The picture of the red LEDS with sockets I only used the sockets as I did blue, but only $5 and change and have red LEDS for later if needed

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Steering Wheel Radio Control LEDs-img_1355.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member
twiggss is on a distinguished road

Just recently noticed that the S-series came with radio steering controls. Didn't know they came on early as 1999.

Neat!

Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Beginning Member
Default Radio controls

since all of mine before were in the 80’s I didn’t realize it either although mine doesn’t have them but my aftermarket has a remote and I have already memorized the buttons

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 PM
fuzz82 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Speed003
Christine_208, for my heater controls I used I used halogen red bulbs because the LEDS leave voids because the are so small.
What I have done in the past on other vehicles when replacing incandescent with LED if you scuff the LED it diffuses the light better. It may be worth a shot.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Starting Member
Whitetrailblazer is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any ideal if the mute button and column control on my steering wheel not lighting up or working could cause no sound out of the stereo at all? The stereo will turn on and do anything you ask it to do but no sound at all. I have replaced stereo with other stereos same problem.

Quick Reply: 1999 Steering Wheel Radio Control LEDs