Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2000 Blazer, A/C doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
dagunrpuppet is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer, A/C doesn't work

I recently did the heater core on my 2000 Blazer and now no matter what I select on the a/c-heater selector switch I only have 1 temperature, hell. That was fine during winter but now it is getting nice out and the wife needs the a/c. When I select A/C I have noticed it is not cycling the compressor. I have tried checking signal out of the back of the head unit and the wire I think controls the A/C doesn't show any power leaving the unit. Not sure if this is correct though, just my assumption. However, it worked before I did the heater core and now it does not. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

On the back of the accumulator is your pressure switch. Disconnect it, and take a small piece of wire to jump between the two terminals. If your compressor doesn't engage, it probably means a bad pressure switch. I'll go out and take some photos for you.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM

This is your accumulator. If you ever do anything in which you have to open up the AC system and allow entry of ambient air, you should always replace this, as the accumulator contains a desiccant which will become fully saturated within five minutes of exposure. The desiccant ensures that only vapor - no liquid - travels to the AC compressor, and this is a very vital component.

This is the wire to the pressure switch. Disconnect this.

Run a piece of jumper wire between these two contact points (with the engine running, of course). The compressor should engage and will stay engaged until the jumper wire is removed. If you have a manifold gauge set attached, you'll see a steady increase in system pressure.

If the compressor doesn't engage, consider replacing the pressure switch. The part is less than $20.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Starting Member
armykyle1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WitchingHour
This is your accumulator. If you ever do anything in which you have to open up the AC system and allow entry of ambient air, you should always replace this, as the accumulator contains a desiccant which will become fully saturated within five minutes of exposure. The desiccant ensures that only vapor - no liquid - travels to the AC compressor, and this is a very vital component.

Run a piece of jumper wire between these two contact points (with the engine running, of course). The compressor should engage and will stay engaged until the jumper wire is removed. If you have a manifold gauge set attached, you'll see a steady increase in system pressure.

If the compressor doesn't engage, consider replacing the pressure switch. The part is less than $20.

Nice tip. I have a similar issue but I think mine is a lot deeper. Can't can't change vent section.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Sounds like one of your doors is jammed, or a cable broke. You can access the HVAC ductwork easily enough... I haven't done this with mine, so I'm not yet sure where the precise locations of the doors are.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
bwallace541 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WitchingHour

Thanks
So in my searching I did come across this. I jumped it with a paper clip and nothing happened.

so even tho i can’t get the ac button to come on it should still kick the compressor on when I jump the switch. I just ran out and tried again but it didn’t work

Last edited by bwallace541; 07-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.