Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2004 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 09:19 PM
|
kzooblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 blazer

i have a 2004 chevy blazer, i have no idea what is going on, when i turn my truck off and pull the key out my head lights and blower stays on or my rear tail light and interior dome lights stay on, and my rear lift glass will not open, this all started at once and i have no idea if someone has any ideas please let me know

Old 12-31-2013 | 10:58 AM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Try this: Turn off engine but leave key in the ignition. Open the door, then remove key.
Does this turn everything off? If yes, it's normal. It's called Reserve Accessory Power (or something like that, i forget) It supplies power for like 20 minutes after you turn off the ignition. Opening the door before removing the key over-rides it and shuts everything down.

If that's no help, it might be a bad ignition/key cylinder in the steering column.

Old 01-01-2014 | 12:52 PM
|
Default more info

what it is doing, when i turn the key off and my headlights and blower when my headlights and blower stays on i found that when i adjust the air flow switch from off to defrost it affects the electrical problem. my internal lights and rear tail lights will also stay on but the they never happen together. i also had my passenger and driver side air bags go off in two different locations and 14 hours apart during both events the key was off and the vehicle was parked, before the driver side air bag blew i could hear what sounded solenoids going on and off and all my dash lights including my headlights where blinking very quickly, GM is investigating the air bag deployment at this time. im just wounding if this could all be from a bad ground or a wire that is grounding itself.

Old 01-01-2014 | 04:34 PM
Starting Member

Oh, so it's more severe than you originally stated. I wonder if you had critters living somewhere under the hood (or inside) that are chewing on wires? That happened to a buddy of mine. He had mice living in the under hood insulation and chewing on the wires in the engine bay. It caused all kinds of electrical problems like the headlights coming on instead of the brake lights, etc.

It might be worth looking into.

Old 01-04-2014 | 08:16 AM
|

i found the problem, i have a 2004 blazer 4 door Ls, under the drivers feet in between the carpet and the floor pan is a wiring harness, this wiring harness is protected by a plastic cover that is not very strong. the harness it directly under the drivers foot and weight of the drivers foot when the driver in on the gas or brake. i found 7 broken wires in this harness, within this harness are wires and connections for the air bags, tail lights, rear washer fluid, rear hatch and many more. i found this because i noticed a wet spot in the drivers floor and that my was windshield washer fluid was draining out by itself, when i pulled up the carpet i found that wiring harness, inside the wiring harness is the hose for the rear windshield washer fluid, i believe the ware and tare from getting in and out of the truck wore the wires and the washer hose to the point of breaking. i have repaired the wires to the best of my abilities. i placed the wired back in the plastic protector wrapped it with electrical tape and added another layer of protection by adding round plastic wire hose. i will end up replacing the harness or having it replaced. just wanted to let you know what i found, if you have any questions please ask them and ill do my best to answer them

Old 01-05-2014 | 08:43 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for updating us.
It's great that you found the problem so easily. Electrical issues can be a bear to track down.