Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2021 Blazer Auto Headlights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 09:38 AM
rhonda3404 is on a distinguished road
Post 2021 Blazer Auto Headlights stopped working

Recently, while driving at night, the automatic mode will suddenly just go off. The dash indicator light, with the little “A”on it, will go off, and the high beams will go off too. I have to manually turn everything back on. I’ll wait a few minutes, and turn off the high beams, and auto mode will come back on. There is nobody coming toward me, and I’m not following anybody. Any ideas? I’m thinking maybe the auto mode switch is going bad?

thank you!

Old 12-24-2021, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rhonda3404
Recently, while driving at night, the automatic mode will suddenly just go off. The dash indicator light, with the little “A”on it, will go off, and the high beams will go off too. I have to manually turn everything back on. I’ll wait a few minutes, and turn off the high beams, and auto mode will come back on. There is nobody coming toward me, and I’m not following anybody. Any ideas? I’m thinking maybe the auto mode switch is going bad?

thank you!
What year?

Did the lights all go out or perhaps did the lights revert to daytime mode with the headlights in super dim-mode?

Old 12-24-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
What year?

Did the lights all go out or perhaps did the lights revert to daytime mode with the headlights in super dim-mode?
2021. I’m not sure. I just know the “automatic” indicator light goes out (so that it’s in manual mode) and the high beams go out.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

2021. I’m not sure. I just know the “automatic” indicator light goes out (so that it’s in manual mode) and the high beams go out.
I don't know anything about these new Blazers, only the 2nd gen ones.

Is it stil under warranty?

Old 12-25-2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
I don't know anything about these new Blazers, only the 2nd gen ones.

Is it stil under warranty?
yes. I was just hoping to see if others have had a similar issue, so I could mention it to the service advisor. Because I know it won’t happen for them, since I’ll be bringing it there during the day.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:12 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

yes. I was just hoping to see if others have had a similar issue, so I could mention it to the service advisor. Because I know it won’t happen for them, since I’ll be bringing it there during the day.
Hi, I used to be a dealership technician back in the 70's and 80's, before I figured out it was no way to make a living. Sounds like you may need to remind them that both the Dealer and GM could be responsible if this happens, and you wreck the vehicle. On something like this I would expect you are not the only one (nothing is new under the sun). First the fix info for such a problem if seen more than once or twice would be investigated and come to technicians through a tech tips type publication to keep them up on things (not sure what form this has taken these days). If enough problems are seen, the problem/fix becomes a TSB (technical service bulletin). If dangerous it could be elevated to a recall. Dealers can rely on a huge database of warranty repairs. I guarantee that GM corporate will be all over this problem as a possible danger.

Give the dealer a chance to do the right thing, but don't let them blow you off. Talk to the Service Manager if the ticket writer (service advisor) says they have to see the problem to fix it and won't take the time to drive it until the problem occurs. Be prepared to leave it with them to drive home at night with your permission. They should give you a loaner for free. Remind the dealer of liability and make sure that in the end you walk out with a service receipt where the problem is clearly stated and what they did (even if they did nothing). This is your documentation of the complaint/problem/attempted repair. If they don't satisfy you, ask to talk to the regional Service Rep (from GM) for your area. You don't have to be nasty, but just cordial and firm. They will understand you. If Regional Service Rep doesn't satisfy you, then call GM Customer Service and complain. You will definitely be taken care of if you follow this sequence.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-28-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:44 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Please let us know how things turn out for you.