Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

97 Blazer Signal/Parking light grounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member
Jeklund is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer Signal/Parking light grounds

So my 1997 blazer was in an accident on the drivers front earlier this summer. I got everything back together and on the road again however I'm running into what i believe to be an electrical problem.

When my parking lights are illuminated (or headlights altogether) my left turn signal stays fully illuminated. I have full function of the headlight on the drivers side, turn signals work correctly. The issue I have noticed that when my parking lights are on the drivers side parking lamp does not illuminate.

I tried looking for the ground but the only one I could find was the one for the entire headlight assembly and I made sure it was fully connected. I know each light is receiving power in some way or another as the parking lamp will flash with the turn signal. I tried looking at a wiring diagram for the headlight but the only ground I could really find was the one for the headlight. The passenger side lights work perfectly.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member
Maggz is on a distinguished road

Are you certain that your socket is in functioning order? sometimes that can cause an issue. The other issue could be faulty wiring to the sockets for both turn signal and parking lights. Almost sounds it could be the latter as turn signal should not be illuminated full time.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

The ground wires are all mounted to the inside of the core support......I had an issue recently with my parking lights, turns out it was the ground I have been told the sockets are known to have issues.......

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Maggz
Are you certain that your socket is in functioning order? sometimes that can cause an issue. The other issue could be faulty wiring to the sockets for both turn signal and parking lights. Almost sounds it could be the latter as turn signal should not be illuminated full time.
Sorry I should have clarified the signal light itself does not stay fully illuminated the indicator on the dash does. The signal light itself only illuminates when I put the turn signal on.

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
The ground wires are all mounted to the inside of the core support......I had an issue recently with my parking lights, turns out it was the ground I have been told the sockets are known to have issues.......
I have the ground mounted directly to the rad support like the passenger side of the vehicle. If I have time later today I'll try to make a video showing what is happening.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member

ok then, so if I am understanding you correctly, your light on the outside of the vehicle is working correctly, but you are seeing the dash light come on when your not using the turn signal? If this is the case. Make certain the bulb is correct, also I would look at the signal sockets making sure there is not cracks or anything in them (this could mean that your sockets where damaged in your ccident and not replaced. This might be a cause of this issue. Again, I hope I am understanding your issue correctly.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Beginning Member

Here's a video of the problem I uploaded.

So the issue is when the parking/headlights are on the parking light and signal do no illuminate solid. However when I use the signal (in the video I just threw the hazards on but it still reacts the same) the lights will illuminate. I did notice after watching the video that the passenger side signals alternate while the drivers will flash at the same time.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member

I would now suggest you look into the socket wiring for the side you had to repair after the accident, it looks like there may be a feedback loop created by inverted wiring. IE positive is connected to negative side and negative is connected to positive side.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM
cdubbin90 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever solve the issue? I'm having the same problem

Old 05-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

Not to drag up an old post or anything but the issue was fixed. Turned out to be a corroded wiring in the middle of the headlight harness. Also had my abs power wire corodded as well. Fixed up both of them and they've been working great.