Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

98 Blazer cold start issue - replacement battery starts a fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Beginning Member
davevictorine is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer cold start issue - replacement battery starts a fire

98 Blazer 4X4 197k miles.

I have been having cold start problems for the last month or so.

Recently the power locks started functioning on their own both while the engine was both on or off.

3 nights ago I went to start it to make sure it would start the next morning for work, and it cranked twice, didn't catch, and then died.
What looked like a little bit of smoke was coming off the battery near the negative terminal.

Got the battery tested, wouldn't hold charge, got a new battery, and went to hook it up last night. I hooked up the positive first, and as soon as the negative touched the connector on the battery terminal, it started smoking, and then underneath the vehicle a fire started almost immedietly!!!

Got the battery disconnected and fire out, I have no idea of what this means,
I could see the grounds from the negative cable were still connected.

I did not have a chance last night to get under the vehicle to see where exactly the fire started at.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like you have a dead short somewhere in the wiring. Look at the main positive cable that runs down to the starter. This cable should have a fusible link internal to the cable, but if the cable has been damaged & is shorting out before the fusible link, it could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE:

Finally tracked wires, and sure enough, the lead from the starter solenoid had bee bent back, and melted to copper exposed touching the casing of the solenoid.... thus the source of the spark/fire.

I taped it up, but it wouldn't start because the short fried the solenoid, BUT the starter was under warranty, so swapped it out, and got everything hooked back up.

NOW it will crank, but it won't catch or start. After I try to crank it for a while, there is a weird smell, not gasoline, but can't really identify it. It's not shorting anymore, but it just won't catch.

Is it possible the short damaged the alternator? Or is this normal because the blazer has been sitting for a week? Just not sure how to get it to start.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE:

I am still not having any luck getting it to start. I have tried starter fluid, but that does not seem to do anything.

When the key is initially put in the "on" position if i'm back by the fuel tank - I can hear the fuel pump turn on, so that appears to be functioning properly.

Starter was replaced and doing it's job, battery is new, and plenty of juice.

Was going to have alternator tested... is this a waste of time? or should i be looking at something else on this vehicle?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davevictorine
UPDATE:

I am still not having any luck getting it to start. I have tried starter fluid, but that does not seem to do anything.

When the key is initially put in the "on" position if i'm back by the fuel tank - I can hear the fuel pump turn on, so that appears to be functioning properly.

Starter was replaced and doing it's job, battery is new, and plenty of juice.

Was going to have alternator tested... is this a waste of time? or should i be looking at something else on this vehicle?

Any help is greatly appreciated
i don't see how it would hurt to get the alternator tested.. i just read an article that said you can remove the alternator and try to start the vehicle. It *should* start and run fine, until the battery dies.. I personally would NOT try this. It sounds dangerous and if the battery dies fast then your out a new battery. But imho i say take the alternator to get it tested. The worse that's going to happen is they say that its fine and your back to square 1.

Just a thought.. have you checked any fuses? Maybe a fuse blew that goes with the starting process, i don't know for sure but that's always the first place I get told to look. And after re-reading the post.. i would most definitely look at the fuses inside the vehicle for the pwr acc. Whoch should control your power locks. I was playing with mine lastnight (They stopped working about a month ago) and after pulling the fuse, letting it sit out for a few minutes then putting it back in, the locks made a little bit of an effort to work. Which leads me to think maybe your fuse is going bad.. either the fuse or the motor for the locks.

Last edited by Senshi09; 10-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member

update: The distributor got fried from the grounding issue previously stated.

Replaced distributor, and I am good to go!

I had to take into a shop, and had no idea how to diagnose that problem, but it's back to running!