Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

'99 Bravada Bose Radio Presets??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
99_Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default '99 Bravada Bose Radio Presets??

Hello, this is my first post in this forum although I'm not new to forums in general mainly A/G bodies and Oldsmobile). I've not found this topic using the forum search, so.......

My 99 Bravada has the Oldsmobile-Bose standard radio/CD/cassette (no separate amp under the console that I know of). Both the owner's manual and the 3-volume service manuals (in volume 3) say that the Bose radio does not allow the five station-select buttons to be programmed; yet, I find someone obviously HAS somehow programmed stations into those 15 memory locations (AM, FM1 and FM2). How is this done on this radio?? Thanks!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Most likely hold the button in until it beeps or makes some other noise.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just set the station to where you want it and then press AND hold the preset button until the music comes back on (usually 2-4 seconds) and you will then see the preset number next to your station.

Originally Posted by 99_Bravada
Hello, this is my first post in this forum although I'm not new to forums in general mainly A/G bodies and Oldsmobile). I've not found this topic using the forum search, so.......

My 99 Bravada has the Oldsmobile-Bose standard radio/CD/cassette (no separate amp under the console that I know of). Both the owner's manual and the 3-volume service manuals (in volume 3) say that the Bose radio does not allow the five station-select buttons to be programmed; yet, I find someone obviously HAS somehow programmed stations into those 15 memory locations (AM, FM1 and FM2). How is this done on this radio?? Thanks!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
99_Bravada is on a distinguished road

"Just set the station to where you want it and then press AND hold the preset button until the music comes back on (usually 2-4 seconds) and you will then see the preset number next to your station."

That's the problem: they eliminated the Set button with the Bose radio. From the Owner's manual:

"PUSHBUTTONS: The five numbered pushbuttons let you return to your favorite stations. You can set up to 15 stations (five AM, five FM1 and five FM2). Just:

1. Turn the radio on.
2. Press AM-FM to select the band.
3. Tune in the desired station.
4. Press TONE to select the equalization that best suits the type of station selected. (This function is not available on the Bose radio.) (emphasis mine)
5. Press and hold one of the five numbered buttons. The sound will mute. When it returns, release the button. Whenever you press that numbered button, the stastion you set will return and the tone that you selected will also be selected for that button. (The tone will not automatically return on the Bose radio.) (emphasis mine)

On the Bose radio, what was the TONE button, just under the RCL button to the right of the display, is now a MUTE button. Pressing and/or holding it doesn't enable the "Set" function, it just mutes the radio. Pressing RCL allows you to select one of the numbered buttons and holding it in causes the display to toggle back and forth between clock display or frequency display.

The PROG button on the steery wheel just toggles through the five numbered buttons on the radio, selecting the preselected (somehow, which is what I'm trying to find out) station.

I'm not sure which radio option this is: I have U1F for sure but others are UP8 and UQ3, which just say radio and speaker systems. I thought I saw the same or similar words in the service manual but can't find it at the moment, should have been in volume 3, somewhere around page 8-350 or 351. Thanks!