Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Adding another battery...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road
Default Adding another battery...

Hi!

I知 preparing my blazer for the winter time here in Sweden.. And it can get pretty cold.

I want to make sure that the battery doesn't drain because of the cold.

Currently i have only 1 battery, but I知 thinking of adding 1 more.

I need help to figure out how to wire in the 2nd battery, so that the starter and everything can make use of it. I do not have any special electronic devices such as an amplifier to power.

i drew up this image.. Is it okay to connect the two batteries like this?

Thanks for your input!

BR Jonas

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah that will work, thats how i run mine in my fullsized trucks that way it works like one big battery. i usually ground both batteries to the inner fender and both to the engine.... it probably doesnt need to be done that way you can probably just do one of them since they are connected though. if you dont already have the second battery tray they do make them for these vehicles. (im assuming you have a k5 blazer) the diesels came stock with them

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah that will work, thats how i run mine in my fullsized trucks that way it works like one big battery. i usually ground both batteries to the inner fender and both to the engine.... it probably doesnt need to be done that way you can probably just do one of them since they are connected though. if you dont already have the second battery tray they do make them for these vehicles. (im assuming you have a k5 blazer) the diesels came stock with them
Thanks

my blazer has two trays, but only 1 with battery right now =) .. its a gas 350 btw!

time to buy a new battery then.. !!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the only downfall to doing this is when one battery goes bad it will start to drain the other battery and its kinda hard to tell which one is bad but other then that if you got two newer batteries shouldnt have no problems

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Get a battery isolator. I believe you can get them off eBay for less than 50 dollars shipped. This SHOULD keep from draining your batteries.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Most marine or auto parts places have battery isolators & a 75 amp should be around or under $50. Not sure about Sweden though.
They keep one battery from draining the other yet they both charge from the vehicle. So you'll always have a charged battery & may just have to jump one to the other if the primary goes dead. You can also use the secondary as an accessory battery for other on board play toys/outlets.