Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Adding a set of LED blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

if you wire it off the trailer plug it will be the same thing as tapping off the tail light. you would have to run it from the front off the blinker wire. the rear blinker works off of an "interrupter" circuit, where as the front actually has a blinker wire to make it work.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Hmm, it would still work though wouldn't it? It would just flash opposite the tail lights.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'ma move this to tomorrow, a few badass bands are playing across the river in KY so no progress. Blimey... Anyways, I was thinking today of drilling holes in the plastic trim and letting the LEDs come through that. I'm going to see how thick the peices are and see if I can get a drill somewhere if it'll allow me.

Oh, and Thogert, here's some pics. Daylight, but you get the point. I'll get some night ones.
Okay, it's a bit of a squeeze...

But it works!

It's more intense in the dark, but with the floor light it really sorta dulls it. Forgot to undo it, and Im' not sure about having a UV at my feet... Time will tell.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a set of LED blinkers-1003303_687697251256610_266963763_n.jpg   Adding a set of LED blinkers-1000488_687697247923277_1740198937_n.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

The trailer harness lights activate on the brakes as well. Oh well, I'm going to just deal with it. I blew through this entire weeks paycheck today and last night, so my plan for extending them up to the back window is going to take the back burner until next weekend. Plus I forgot to make a photocopy of the strips on friday so I wasn't able to drill the plastic trim like I wanted too.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a set of LED blinkers-1006221_688181097874892_905286194_n.jpg  

Last edited by Badco; 07-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ahh, ok disregard my post in the other thread then.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Starting Member

As I just read the other thread lol

Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If those are amber LED's you are going to get in trouble having them solid lit when you are hitting your brakes.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
If those are amber LED's you are going to get in trouble having them solid lit when you are hitting your brakes.
Really? Well bugger. I guess I should run the wires from the front.

heres a pic at night. Looks a lot better

Attached Thumbnails Adding a set of LED blinkers-150946_688326941193641_518299603_n.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i see 2 problems though
1. you dont have a license plate light, which is illegal in all 50 states.
2. i like the location, but not the execution. i think that it would look a lot cleaner, and give it that custom touch, if you mounted them above the plate. that way they would shine downward.
if your plate light has blown out, i would put an led in there. just that extra touch.
and a tip that i figured out when you are going to be running wires from one end of the car to the other. label them, or use different colors, like red for the right one and some other color for the left, and run them both at the same time. much easier, plus then you only have to be under the car once and you can spend a little more time making sure that you dont have problems later.
just my .02 but i hate to see people have problems and lose interest. good luck!

Originally Posted by Thogert
Hmm, it would still work though wouldn't it? It would just flash opposite the tail lights.
not exactly. what i meant by saying the rear works off the "interrupter" circuit is that the rear brakes and blinkers use the same hot wires. same thing with the trailer plug wires. there isnt a dedicated wire for the blinkers in either of them. so when you hit the brake pedal both lights in the back turn on; when you have the blinker on, it "interrupts" the power to the side that you are indicating to, so that it will flash.
if you remember seeing the taillights that have the amber turn signals in them, those would have a dedicated blinker wire. but even then, the trailer plug is going to be wired the same. thats why if you have a trailer, or seen one, that has a side blinker, it will light up with the brakes as well because it uses the same hot wires to activate like the truck with the regular taillights.

i hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Thogert; 07-14-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts. Please use the edit feature.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Starting Member

I do have a plate light, turns out they only come on when the lights are on, and in that last pic I just had the 4-ways on. I was rear ended over the winter and reading that I was worried so I ran out and checked just in case.

So it looks like I'll just have to run 2 wires from the front and then another two from the trailer harness ground. I'll have to do this Monday since my bank is closed tomorrow.
I suppose my other alternative would be to find the trailer harness and split my dark green and yellow wires into their respective front blinker.
Still unsure of my placement. I'll need some secure mounts, as right now they're just tucked in under the license plate. After I find where I want them I'll have to drill some holes and find a way to mount them.

Quick Reply: Adding a set of LED blinkers