Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
gmbwrenchn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air bag light

Just recently I'm driving along and I had the air bag light go on briefly. At the same time there was a beep inside the dash AND it felt like the car was going to stall. This happened to my daughter while she was driving it, only it did stall.... complete shut down while driving, but started right back up again. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the initial signs of an ignition switch failure. You could have the airbag codes read to see if anything was stored.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Starting Member

Does that require a sophisticated reader like at a dealer? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It does require an enhanced (full feature) scan tool, but the dealer isn't your only option.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

mine has been going off and on too, i probably won't bother getting it fixed

Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It does require an enhanced (full feature) scan tool, but the dealer isn't your only option.
Looks like I have someone lined up. Friend of mechanic. Will scan it for free. Will charge $70 to diagnose the problem. I'll report back with the codes, thanks.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Starting Member

Well I never made it to get the Air bag code read. Blazer died and won't start at all.Turns over....sounds like it wants to start, but won't. Had to have it towed. Everything shut off while I was driving along. Good thing I was only driving 35 mph! Well..........I need a educated guess on this problem, cause it's at my house and I plan on fixing this myself. Would you say that it's most likely the ignition switch? I know there is no way knowing that's it 100% but I just want odds. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

You may be experiencing an ignition switch failure. That could link all of the issues you are experiencing together.

You could check all of the grounds and splice packs under the dash to be certain that it isn't just a grounding problem as a next step before replacing the ignition switch.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Starting Member

Thanks will do, then post back.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Starting Member

Well I checked everything the best I could under the dash. Everything looks ok. I want to go in and replace the ignition switch. 97's had problems with the ignition switch anyways I believe. Any step by step posted proceedures on doing this successfully? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Air bag light