Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Bad/shorted pcm

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member
TH2kBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Bad/shorted pcm

2000 4x4 2dr
So the other week I was testing my maf for possible replacement, and while doing that I think I may have shorted something out by touching my multimeter wires on accident.

After I thought I might have arced them my maf sensor and camshaft sensor both completely stopped working, along with my rpm tach. At first I tried replacing both the maf and camshaft as they were easy sensors and I got a good deal on both brand new.

So my question is is there any external fuse for these sensors? Or if it shorts out will it damage a pcm ground internally or something, as it runs like a pos right now while having the camshaft and maf in a default mode.
Can't remember the exact codes it was throwing but it was forsure the camshaft and maf.
Thanks, Tommy

Old 05-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

There isn't an external fuse for those 2 sensors. I'm assuming you were testing the maf because there was a problem. Square one at this point. I would check all fuses and erase the codes. If it runs that bad now new codes will set to describe the current problem. Posting the new codes will give us a lot more to go on.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
There isn't an external fuse for those 2 sensors. I'm assuming you were testing the maf because there was a problem. Square one at this point. I would check all fuses and erase the codes. If it runs that bad now new codes will set to describe the current problem. Posting the new codes will give us a lot more to go on.
P0102
P0340
P0440
P0452

Not so worried about the Evap system right now as I've had the last two codes on and off for the life off the car and never affected drivability, but thanks!

Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Thank you for posting the codes. I searched those specific codes and schematics and found that I misinformed you in my previous post. In the under hood fuse panel there is a 10 amp fuse labeled ENG 1. It goes to the MAF and the camshaft position sensor. Check that fuse and the others.

If none are blown, then physically check the wiring for problems. Please let us know what you find. Tommy, I sincerely apologize for the bad info.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Thank you for posting the codes. I searched those specific codes and schematics and found that I misinformed you in my previous post. In the under hood fuse panel there is a 10 amp fuse labeled ENG 1. It goes to the MAF and the camshaft position sensor. Check that fuse and the others.

If none are blown, then physically check the wiring for problems. Please let us know what you find. Tommy, I sincerely apologize for the bad info.
I initially went through every fuse but I guessed I missed that one!
Popped the new 10amp in and it's running like a dream again, I'll plug my code reader in again and let you guys know what codes went away. Thanks for the information rusty!