Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Battery/starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
19echo95 is on a distinguished road
Default Battery/starting issues

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Blazer LS that had the previous battery ran dead because someone (not me) decided to sit in the Blazer and listen to music for about an hour which of course F'ed up the battery. So, we bought a new one and now every time we attempt to start it it won't start. It acts as if there is no battery hooked up, but if we open the hood and move the battery around it will start (the battery gets moved around while driving). But starting today whenever it won't start like it's supposed to I get out and move the battery and it attempts to start but it sputters a few times before it will start, or it will start then turn off. It's getting quite annoying and I don't enjoy making an *** out of myself when in a crowd and trying to get out of somewhere.

So, does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? I'm about 3 seconds away from going and getting some really big zip ties and strapping it down to the battery holder.

Oh yeah, speaking of battery holder; the little rubber/plastic piece that is made to help the battery stay in place is still there and pushed as far as I could against the battery. Also keep in mind that this never happened until we got this new battery.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 19echo95
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Blazer LS that had the previous battery ran dead because someone (not me) decided to sit in the Blazer and listen to music for about an hour which of course F'ed up the battery. So, we bought a new one and now every time we attempt to start it it won't start. It acts as if there is no battery hooked up, but if we open the hood and move the battery around it will start (the battery gets moved around while driving). But starting today whenever it won't start like it's supposed to I get out and move the battery and it attempts to start but it sputters a few times before it will start, or it will start then turn off. It's getting quite annoying and I don't enjoy making an *** out of myself when in a crowd and trying to get out of somewhere.

So, does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? I'm about 3 seconds away from going and getting some really big zip ties and strapping it down to the battery holder.

Oh yeah, speaking of battery holder; the little rubber/plastic piece that is made to help the battery stay in place is still there and pushed as far as I could against the battery. Also keep in mind that this never happened until we got this new battery.

If your battery isn't tight with the back side 'slid' under it's 'holder' and the front side tightended down, that tells me you bought the wrong battery.

One reasons it could sputter sometimes and die when you start it is because if your pcm doesn't have power for x amount of time, it will 'forget how to run'

My suggestion would be to make sure your terminals are tight, and if they are, remove them, clean them and re tighten them. keep in mind they don't have to be very tight.... Also make sure the rubber 'protective part' isn't caught between anything.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM
19echo95 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
If your battery isn't tight with the back side 'slid' under it's 'holder' and the front side tightended down, that tells me you bought the wrong battery.

One reasons it could sputter sometimes and die when you start it is because if your pcm doesn't have power for x amount of time, it will 'forget how to run'

My suggestion would be to make sure your terminals are tight, and if they are, remove them, clean them and re tighten them. keep in mind they don't have to be very tight.... Also make sure the rubber 'protective part' isn't caught between anything.
Ok, I will try that first thing tomorrow. I'm about 98% sure we bought the right battery. I will have to check but I don't think that's it.