Blinkers drawing THAT much current? - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Starting Member

Badco is on a distinguished road
Default Blinkers drawing THAT much current?

Hey guys, small question. No biggie, but I had my blinkers on just after I replaced my alternator and the Voltometer started wobbling (At the time I thought this was going to be a spaz attack, so I just turned all my electricals off)

Yesterday I just happened to notice it again and the blinkers were on and the voltometer was acting a little crazy.... so I shut them off, drove to my apt and tested them. Yupp. Blinkers.

See I'm not quite seeing here why I can have absolutely no change in voltage when I'm running the subs pretty high, but two measley blinkers are drawing about .75-1.5 volts. Does anyone else notice the vGauge doing this with their blinkers? I don't remember this happening with the other alternator.

Last edited by Badco; 12-21-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

richphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the rough

Does your truck have grounds for the blinkers? or is it grounded in the PCM.. if it has grounds up on the firewall, could be the problem.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Starting Member

Are the firewall grounds prone to corrosion? I can't go digging in because it's raining. If it stops I'll probably hit wallyworld and grab a pack of o-rings and wire up a secondary ground.

But if it's a PCM, what could I be looking at here?
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

richphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the rough

To be honest. I dont know. I am not knowledgeable on second gens. But blinkers should not make the voltage drop like that unless there is a short or ground problem.
Have you checked the bulbs?

as for the grounds on the firewall IF you have them... they can get corroded, just like any other ground.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran

warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Mine have been doing this for couple years...just got used to it. If you find an answer be sure to share
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Starting Member

I'll tinker around and see what I can. I'm a starting off backyard mechanic so I'll probably end up breaking something lmao. Could just be the new alt responding better. But I'm not sure why the blinkers do this and the 350 bpm double kicking bass dropping infant annihilator doesnt even phase the voltogauge.

Blazer mystery! Must have been one of special Daves engineering quirks.