Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Brake lights and top rear light suddenly not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 AM
Vino is on a distinguished road
Default Brake lights and top rear light suddenly not working

Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone can help me narrow down the issue here. First off, I'm a 43 yr old non car guy, but learning through youtube vids.

Problem: I have a 2001 chev blazer xtreme and all of my break lights suddenly went off, including the rear top light. All fuses are good on both fuse boxes, rear turn signals good, etc.

I haven't checked the bulbs since they went off pretty much at the same time, so I'm thinking it's not them? (although it could be I guess, just strange that all went off).

I'm guessing it might be my break light switch? though I'm still trying to pop off the piece holding it down, having trouble popping that off with a flat head screwdriver.

What I'm looking for it other knowledgable things it might be. Or if the brake switch is my best bet? I think it would be different if my top, rear light was working, but nothing works back there except turn signals.

Thank you in advance!!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I would think brake light switch as well. Especially if all the fuses are good

Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I would definately rule out bad bulbs since the turn signals work and they would have nothing to do with the led brake light above the hatch...

Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Vino is on a distinguished road

much appreciated guys! Yeah, I went ahead and bought the switch. Unfortunately, I'm having issues installing it, lol. With what little room there is, I'm having issues getting it onto the push rod and then both of those on the brake pedal. I hope it's the switch now and not something bigger.