Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Can't find where this goes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member
whogonzo is on a distinguished road

Ok, even if timing is a little off, car would still start correct?? On other cars I've worked on all imports will still start. I certain I got timing very near on point but car should of started. I purchased the DIY at alldata just for future references also. So now what should I look at, if car should of started with timing a little off? And in this case it did'nt.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Does it cough or anything when you try to start...or just turn over? You are sure that you were on the compression stroke when you put #1 piston at TDC? How did you insure that?

Yes, the car should at least start. If the above is good to go, First suggestion I would make is the easy on...you have the #1 & the #3 spark plug wires in the correct spots at the distributor cap....yes? That's a common mistake because they are reversed from what you would think normally. You stated you were sure you had good spark on all plugs...what color was the spark...orange or blue? Are there any DTC codes?

Next thing is what seems to be the starting place that all the experts here recommend, the fuel leakdown test. Hook up a pressure tester you can get on loan from an auto parts store. Turn your key on, engine off. In that two seconds when the fuel pump turns on pressure should be between 60-66 psi., then it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member
whogonzo is on a distinguished road

Ok after all that I ended up taking all the spark plugs out and replace them cause the were really bad and that was the issue. They were damp and would not provide sufficient spark. Now I have to take everything off cause my buddy that help me might have dropped a screw in one of the cylinder holes, due to why I probably hear a annoying fast knock, and have to find it. Its coming from passenger side cylinder. Would the valve in cylinder open enough to let screw go thru to where pistons are located? If so if I cant find it im going to have to remover the cylinder head. I want to drive my baby already :-/