Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Cigarette lighter and heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:17 PM
Scott W Bucher is on a distinguished road
Default Cigarette lighter and heater

Hey guys i have a 79 blazer with a 305 4wd. So im having a problem. Im still learning the knowledge of mechanics so that's why im asking you guys 1. My heater went out a month ago and so i got a new one, still doesnt work so i got a resistor still nothing. The motor got wired to a toggle switch ( previous owner) so do i need to check that and all the wiring to see if thats my problem? Issue 2. My cigetter lighter popped and the pop came from the lighter itself so if that where my problem is? Thank you for any help, i greatly appreciate it

Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My advice, find a factory manuals for your truck and get comfy. It sounds like someone really hacked at this truck and if you want to get it straightened back out you will need to know how it all went together to begin with so you can spot the hacks.

For my '74, I have 5 different books:
  • 1974 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & Light Duty Trucks Overhaul Manual -- This digs into how to rebuild practically every major serviceable component on the vehicle (carb, engine, trans, transfer case, axles, etc.)
  • 1974 Chevrolet Light Duty Truck Service Manual -- details how to take the vehicle apart to make repairs, but doesn't go into specifics like the overhaul manual does.
  • 1974 Chevrolet Light, Medium, & Heavy Duty Trucks Wiring Diagrams
  • 1973-1978 Truck Illustration Catalog -- full exploded view illustrations of practically every component in these trucks
  • 1973-1978 Truck Parts Catalog -- original GM part number listings based off of the illustrations from the illustrations catalog
I also have two original dealership brochures printed in September of 1973 for the 1974 K5 Blazer! I picked up all of this off eBay for pennies on the dollar for what they originally cost.

I'm not sure if all of these books exist for your truck, but with all of these, you'll have more than enough information to dig into the truck. I actually think that the service & overhaul manuals got combined for your year based off what I saw in a quick search on eBay for "1979 Chevrolet Light Duty Truck Manual". I didn't try searching for any of the other manuals I have though, but it would stand to reason that there should be a 1979-whatever illustration & parts manual as well as a wiring diagram book.

Good luck!