Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Rebuilding my baby

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilding my baby

Ive got a great running and decent looking 87' K5 and looking to rebuild entire truck. I need a 350 small block diagram. Anyone know where to look online?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rebuilding my baby

Diagram of what exactly? What is on the engine? An exploded view of all of the components in the engine? Can you be more specific?

Also, if you are looking to rebuild it, you may want to look into getting the factory service manuals.

I would get both of these:
1987 Light Truck Unit Repair Manual
1987 Light Truck Service Manual

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to interject.
What's in the unit repair manual?
I have the Service manual for mine coming.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be three main documents used for these vehicles. A body manual (older vehicles), unit repair manual (used to be the overhaul manual), and the service manual were used. The service manual covered the broad strokes including trouble shooting, but didnot really get into the nitty gritty tasks such as rebuilding a rear axle or transfer case. The unit repair manual filled in the blanks with the specifics for all out rebuild of the major components (axles, transfer case, transmission, etc). The body manual covered, well, the body (doors, tailgate, and the linkages that make them work), but again, these were usually for older vehicles and much of the body information got rolled into the service manual.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 AM

okay. I found two manuals. What's the difference here? Are they both GM publications?

http://www.lloydsautolit.com/Items/1...com/ebaymotors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Your first link did not work, but I found the 1986 Light Truck Shop Manual that I think you were intending to point to. The differences are as listed above.

One manual I forgot to mention (partially due to the fact that it was under some of my other manuals for my Blazer) is the electrical manual, but it looks like the newer shop manuals include the light trucks in the Shop Manual content. Then there is the Parts & Illustration catalog that should be self explanatory. For my Blazer, the Parts List and Illustrations were in two separate catalogs.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 AM

My bad i'm retarded. There were two unit repair manuals I was trying to point to. One was the chevy light truck unit repair manual and the other a black cover unit repair manual....the black one is GMC. Doh!.
This is the second one...with the black cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GMC-Unit-Repair-Manual-for-Light-Duty-Trucks-Vans_W0QQitemZ250367190249QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Manuals_Literature?hash=item250367190249&_tr ksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12| 39%3A1|240%3A1318

Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Yeah, those are identical besides the cover.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Got it. Thanks. Guinness for you