Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

cluster bulbs/electrical modification help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cluster bulbs/electrical modification help

hi forum

So im wondering if anyone can tell me how to get to the warning lights in the dash cluster.

I havent started taking it apart yet, but is there anything particularly tricky? or things to be extra careful with?

specifically i want to get at the "airbag" light and remove it, or turn it off somehow, would prefer not to break it.

reason being i have to get a safety done and my dad figures if i can just get the light to go out he can get it passed. He used to be a parts distributor for a parts store and apparently has connections :S

does my 98 have leds? or regular bulbs?

so please any info would be really helpful.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

your truck has regular bulbs and i don't know about warning lights. i know the illumination bulbs (behind the tach and such) are easy to get to as are the brights, and turn indicator.

i have no clue about the airbag. try scanning with an OBDII reader and what not

Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran

did that, b1026-open loop

this will be a much cheaper solution, thanks for the reply, good to know i dont have led's. should make it easier, right?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

idk what the warning lights are because they're not accessible bulbs. so who knows whats easy and what isn't. ask kyle i guess

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran

thanks!!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM
BF Veteran

alright, so i have the cluster apart, was much easier than i expected. and just to update this thread, the warning lights are not replaceable. they are little bulbs (leds?) soldered to the board. and instead of breaking them i chose to fill the compartment for the light with tinfoil and tape the bulb with a couple pieces of tape. theres a seperate compartment for each warning bulb so 1 dosent light up the others beside it. i know, hack job, but i seem to be best at those, and im currently riding the E.I wagon

1 thing i noticed is there are 2 lights in the airbag light compartment and only 1 for the rest of the warning bulbs. still have it apart as i type.....so......im gonna go get back to work and ill update again later...

Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought; about the warning lights being panel mounted.

Did you have to pull off the needles to get in there? If so, you'll have fun getting them all back on correctly!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran

nope, it was easy, the board just pulls off, no clips, just these little prongs that go into the board you have to line up carefully.

you dont even need to pull off the clear cover that goes over the needles and such.

the back side of the cluster has a black cover, unsnap that, then you can see the back side of the electrical board where the replaceable lights are. Then if you pry up carefully on the board it just slides up off those prongs....theres around 10 of them in bunchs.

thanks for all your help, got it back together and in my jimmy in about 20 minutes. now im off to clean my battery posts to try figure out my my gauge likes to dip once in a while. red top batt. and h.o alt are like 2 years old :S