Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

DRL Module?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member
THE MISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Default DRL Module?

i posted a question on here a year or so ago and received no replies now hopefully with some pics someone can clue me in on what this is. the grey case has this card inside. tia

Attached Thumbnails DRL Module?-2012-02-13_21-00-10_956.jpg   DRL Module?-2012-02-13_21-01-49_777.jpg   DRL Module?-2012-02-13_21-02-19_447.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is called the Diode Module. The purple wires feed into the 4wd lights and I can't find a diagram that shows the brown wires. To repair the board, I would just solder on wires to replace the trace that burnt out.

BTW, there is no harm in bumping a thread, even if it was posted in an unrelated section of the forum.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It is called the Diode Module. The purple wires feed into the 4wd lights and I can't find a diagram that shows the brown wires. To repair the board, I would just solder on wires to replace the trace that burnt out.

BTW, there is no harm in bumping a thread, even if it was posted in an unrelated section of the forum.
ditto.. except I would check to see those diodes arent shorted. Especially the big dude.. the smaller ones should have opened up if the current was high enough to do that damage.

here I flipped and combined the images for reference....note the slight discoloration on the big one's lead and solder points.

Attached Thumbnails DRL Module?-drl_diodeblock.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Beginning Member

sorry don't know what bumping a thread is. don't read these forums much although they do have alot of usefull info thanks btw.
the two solder marks on the blue side are from me soldering a small wire to it which burnt up like the copper strip under it. can i buy that big diode at radio shack and replace it? i've also checked the two brake switches above the brake pedal and they are good. the only reason i found that bow is i was getting a 10 code "stop light switch - 422 ckt i believe" i checked the whole circuit and the diode and strip are the only bad spot.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by THE MISTRESS
sorry don't know what bumping a thread is. don't read these forums much although they do have alot of usefull info thanks btw.
the two solder marks on the blue side are from me soldering a small wire to it which burnt up like the copper strip under it. can i buy that big diode at radio shack and replace it? i've also checked the two brake switches above the brake pedal and they are good. the only reason i found that bow is i was getting a 10 code "stop light switch - 422 ckt i believe" i checked the whole circuit and the diode and strip are the only bad spot.
So, just to be clear, you have checked the big diode with an ohmmeter and found it dead shorted? Otherwise ohm the matching harness connector to frame

Yes the Radio shack guy SHOULD be able to cross reference the diode. If not I would guesstimate from its size 3 - 5 amp at 50 volts

Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Beginning Member

yeah the big one is fried. do i need this card or can i somehow bypass it?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran

I dont know.. was the only problem the DRL didnt work?

If that's all.. up to you. Otherwise the diode shorting was a fluke. Generally takes overvoltage to short a diode. Over current tends to open them.
And there's no higher voltage on the truck, normally than 15v

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Beginning Member

no it doesn't have them. i didn't know what that module was for. my dad owned the truck before me and he had to replace the trans about every other year and she has had the same 10 code since he bought it. i don't know i just wanna get rid of that damn blinking light and not have to replace the trans as often as he did