Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

DS Window motor/switch troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 01:18 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rockp2
There is a power window circuit breaker under the dash in the BBEC. It can be kind of a pain to get to if it is the first time you've removed the BBEC. But I would first do voltage drop tests starting at the motor to see if their is a reason the breaker is tripping.
I'll have to look into checking this to see if this is what is happening with my DS window. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2023, 07:00 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Doesn't that watch get in the way when you're reaching around up in there? And how hard is it to disconnect that parking brake cable? BTW, I remember when that was called an emergency brake.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:43 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
rockp2, great pics and instructions!
Um, yeah, for sure. Wow!

I will have to weigh if I think it's worth this much digging versus just slapping in a new regulator/motor. I don't always have the patience to really poke and prod testing electrical stuff. Give me a big wrench to turn any day over a multi-meter. But definitely impressed with your documentation here.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:59 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

rockp2, great pics and instructions!

Just an FYI for other Blazer owners: The other name for the BBEC is the Body Relay Block (BRB) which is the name used in my 1999 GM Service Manual. I'm now wondering if more than one name has been used for this over the years.

As a supplement to what rockp2 posted, I also learned about the BRB/BBEC and posted what I learned about how to get access to it.
You can find it here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...nd-gen-103713/
That's interesting that they have the different names for the exact same unit. In my '98 GM tech manual it is BBEC. Guess someone had to earn their pay

I really like how your thread focused on that unlocking tab. The first time I did it a few years ago I wasted so much time trying to disengage those black hooks (without dash removed) which I couldn't do. I eventually found the one retainer and down the BBEC came easy as pie. Now with just unlocking the one retainer I can get panels removed and BBEC/BRB dropped in ~30 minutes.

I'll have to look into checking this to see if this is what is happening with my DS window. Thanks!
Do you mean doing the voltage drop testing or just replacing the breaker? If you or anyone does replace the breaker and it fixes the problem, I'd love for someone to send me the bad breaker. I asked about breaker "weakening" on another forum. I have a DC power supply unit I can slowly raise the amps on to see if the breaker trips below it's rating, but I need a bad one to test.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Doesn't that watch get in the way when you're reaching around up in there? And how hard is it to disconnect that parking brake cable? BTW, I remember when that was called an emergency brake.
Yeah, sometimes I have to take the watch off Very easy to disconnect the p-brake cable. Just release the brake and use the slack to slip the cable end out of the mechanism. Might be easier to also disconnect the single wire (for the p-brake warning light) from the tab on the mechanism. But as you pull the cable out, pay close attention to how it is routed. Also note that you are removing the knee bolster and the p-brake handle/cable as all one unit. You are not trying to separate the two. Don't try to remove the p-brake cable/handle from the knee bolster.

Originally Posted by TDS-MN
Um, yeah, for sure. Wow!

I will have to weigh if I think it's worth this much digging versus just slapping in a new regulator/motor. I don't always have the patience to really poke and prod testing electrical stuff. Give me a big wrench to turn any day over a multi-meter. But definitely impressed with your documentation here.
The fact your regulator was replaced once already tells me you either have a mechanical binding issue going on, or a circuit issue going on. But something is definitely wrong. The task is really not that daunting at all. How long ago did they replace the regulator?

Last edited by rockp2; 01-19-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:21 PM
al63139 is on a distinguished road

I am glad to see someone else is having the same problem as I am finally. For the past couple of years I have had this problem, roll the window down and you have to wait a few minutes to roll it back up due to it not working. For some reason this just happens for the drivers power window. Most of the time my windows work great. Yesterday it was nice here in St. Louis so I powered my drivers side window down. After about a half an hour when I got home I tried to power the window up, and nothing happened. All the other windows work great. The drivers side was working as advertised, but suddenly nothing. I checked this morning and still nothing, but all other windows work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated from you all with more knowledge than me. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, 4 door, power windows, right now 3 PW's. My Blazer has 260K miles on it and still running great with minor flaws.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:16 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by al63139
I am glad to see someone else is having the same problem as I am finally. For the past couple of years I have had this problem, roll the window down and you have to wait a few minutes to roll it back up due to it not working. For some reason this just happens for the drivers power window. Most of the time my windows work great. Yesterday it was nice here in St. Louis so I powered my drivers side window down. After about a half an hour when I got home I tried to power the window up, and nothing happened. All the other windows work great. The drivers side was working as advertised, but suddenly nothing. I checked this morning and still nothing, but all other windows work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated from you all with more knowledge than me. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, 4 door, power windows, right now 3 PW's. My Blazer has 260K miles on it and still running great with minor flaws.
The forum would rather you start your own thread. Helps from creating confusion (ex. different vehicles on same thread, etc). Plus it tends to get you help quicker. You've supplied most of the relevant info, so just start a new thread with that same info and add what type of testing equipment you have since that will be asked (multi-meter, test lamp). Start a new thread and we'll be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Your gonna need to get the door panel off and then check for power into the switch, than out to the motor, the ground. Then replace the offending item.

George