Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 10:27 PM
Starting Member
tony9385 is on a distinguished road

99 Chevy Silverado, 4.3 vortec, Ive read a crap ton on hear, first time posting. Everything that I seem to research, including the Haynes manual say I shouldnt be able to start my truck with less then 50lbs of fuel pressure. Most I have gotten so far at one point was 42lbs and it will still start with 25lbs and still idle, rough but idle. All the grounds i have at least cleaned to shiny bare metal, new gas, new fuel pump, fuel filter, Fuel regulator and a MPFI. No matter how many times I turn the key now it wont go above 25-30 at best but still run? idol? no fuel pressure drop but def no gain. Actually seemed like the more grounds that I cleaned it got worse. Im getting .02-0.3 ohms in all places if checked the grounds. I guess ill start here.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tony9385
99 Chevy Silverado, 4.3 vortec, Ive read a crap ton on hear, first time posting. Everything that I seem to research, including the Haynes manual say I shouldnt be able to start my truck with less then 50lbs of fuel pressure. Most I have gotten so far at one point was 42lbs and it will still start with 25lbs and still idle, rough but idle. All the grounds i have at least cleaned to shiny bare metal, new gas, new fuel pump, fuel filter, Fuel regulator and a MPFI. No matter how many times I turn the key now it wont go above 25-30 at best but still run? idol? no fuel pressure drop but def no gain. Actually seemed like the more grounds that I cleaned it got worse. Im getting .02-0.3 ohms in all places if checked the grounds. I guess ill start here.
Welcome to the forum. You just hijacked an active thread about parasitic battery draw to ask about fuel pressure which will cause untold confusion. Please start a new thread to ask about your problem.

George

Old 04-23-2022, 11:44 AM
csuperdock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
OK, it sounds like you are putting the meter inline from negative battery post to negative battery cable in dc amp mode. The confusion was because you have a digital multimeter that is capable of measuring volts (acting as a volt meter), amps (ammeter), resistance and depending on the meter possibly frequency, capacitance, etc.

The problem is that your "sleep" current (amp draw) is too high at 0.4 amps which is 400 milliamps. Ideally it should be under 50 milliamps and worst case it should be less than 120 milliamps. Make sure that you are really in sleep mode (wait 15 min), hood and doors closed and no lights on. If you still get 0.4 amps then open the drivers door, clamp the door switch, wait for sleep mode and then start pulling fuses to see where the draw is and then we go from there.

George
Hey George, I did what you said and pulled fuse #19 RDO BAT and that is the one causing the draw, I've pulled that fuse out and now without that fuse I have no instrumentation on the dash, where do I go from here?

Old 04-23-2022, 12:07 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by csuperdock
Hey George, I did what you said and pulled fuse #19 RDO BAT and that is the one causing the draw, I've pulled that fuse out and now without that fuse I have no instrumentation on the dash, where do I go from here?

There are four possibilities:

The radio is defective
The IPC is defective
An aftermarket device has been added to that circuit that is causing problems
There is a wiring problem

The easiest thing to check first is the radio. You will need to get it out of the dash and pull the connector to disrupt power and see if your problem goes away. Unless you know of a wiring hack/addition on that circuit then go there first.

George

Old 04-28-2022, 10:28 PM
Default Security light is on

There are four possibilities:

The radio is defective
The IPC is defective
An aftermarket device has been added to that circuit that is causing problems
There is a wiring problem

The easiest thing to check first is the radio. You will need to get it out of the dash and pull the connector to disrupt power and see if your problem goes away. Unless you know of a wiring hack/addition on that circuit then go there first.

George
Hey George, now we have a new problem. The blazer starts and then shuts off in 2-3 seconds and the security light stays on and no codes are coming up. I've already checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, changed cap, rotor, wires and plugs, changed alternator and checked all fuses. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-28-2022, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran

This now sounds like a passlock problem. This would be confirmed by having spark and fuel pressure but no injector pulses. Have you ever replaced the ignition switch, the passlock sensor or hacked the passlock resistor?

George

Old 04-29-2022, 12:05 AM

This now sounds like a passlock problem. This would be confirmed by having spark and fuel pressure but no injector pulses. Have you ever replaced the ignition switch, the passlock sensor or hacked the passlock resistor?

George
Hi George, I have not replaced the ignition switch or the passlock sensor or hacked the passlock resistor, but when we bought the car recently, the security light has always stayed on, but has run and drove okay. What is the passlock sensor? Thanks for responding!
Rick

Old 04-29-2022, 08:34 AM
BF Veteran

There is more than one reason for the security light to be on but one of them is the passlock system failure. Have you ever had any codes associated with the security system? Passlock system is a module associated with the ignition switch that presents a unique resistor value to the PCM at start up to prevent the car from being hot wired. If the computer does not see the appropriate resistor value it turns off the fuel injectors after a few seconds. If that’s your problem then you need to either replace the Passlack module and perform a relearn, repair any wiring faults that are found, or perform a common resistor hack to bypass the issue. That last one removes the security feature and makes the vehicle easier to appropriate.

George

Old 04-29-2022, 09:15 AM

There is more than one reason for the security light to be on but one of them is the passlock system failure. Have you ever had any codes associated with the security system? Passlock system is a module associated with the ignition switch that presents a unique resistor value to the PCM at start up to prevent the car from being hot wired. If the computer does not see the appropriate resistor value it turns off the fuel injectors after a few seconds. If that’s your problem then you need to either replace the Passlack module and perform a relearn, repair any wiring faults that are found, or perform a common resistor hack to bypass the issue. That last one removes the security feature and makes the vehicle easier to appropriate.

George
Hi George, thanks for your help with this, how would I perform the common resistor hack? We both work from home and don't exactly live in an area where vehicle theft is a huge problem, so not really worried about that, again I appreciate your help with this!

Old 04-29-2022, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran

You don’t want to hack your wiring harness until you rule out other causes. Have you had any security system related codes? Do you know how to solder and splice wiring?

George