Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Everything went dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 PM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default Everything went dead

So had an issue this morning on the way to work. Stopped at the gas station to get a drink and breakfast as I always do. Got back in to leave and soon as I hit the key, I heard the solenoid click once and the entire vehicle went dead and the doors locked. No power to anything. Started checking fuses and nothing was blown. After about 10 mins radio, odometer, prnd and some lights came on. No gauges and only light that would come on was the battery light with ignition in on position. Still wouldn't crank. Continue checking fuses and ran jumper cables from positive batt to power distribution box and ground batt to engine ground with no effect. about another 10 mins later the rest of the electrical system came to life and fired right up. Everything seems to work as it should.

Electrical issue do not ussually fix themselfs. Is this a common thing, semi common? Im Hopefull that maybe the battery just has a floating short in it. Although I've never had one completely lose all output. I did not have a voltmeter with me. I will be carrying one now! So its just a guess, I don't know if the battery was actually putting out any juice or not. If it was, then when I jumped to the power distribution box, the gauges and instrument panel should have came to life at least. May not have cranked or started but the cabin atleast should have had power. Right? Or am I wrong? Am I missing something?