Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Gauges and radio frustration

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Starting Member
JMichael17 is on a distinguished road
Default Gauges and radio frustration

Every once in a while my gauges and radio will stop working while the car is on I’m trying to figure out why.
01 blazer 4 door 4wd lt

Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I once had my gauges and radio go out (along with the HVAC) when the radio shorted out blowing a fuse. Maybe there is an intermittent open circuit in that circuit or at the supply voltage for that circuit that serves all those components?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Is the stereo stock? If it's aftermarket the first thing I check is the previous installer's wiring. Do all the gauges drop out or just the speedometer?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I once had my gauges and radio go out (along with the HVAC) when the radio shorted out blowing a fuse. Maybe there is an intermittent open circuit in that circuit or at the supply voltage for that circuit that serves all those components?
All I know is that a swift hit to the dash turns everything back on. I’m thinking a loose ground wire?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Welcome to the forum. Is the stereo stock? If it's aftermarket the first thing I check is the previous installer's wiring. Do all the gauges drop out or just the speedometer?
The radio is aftermarket. I put it in. all the connections were soldered. All my gauges lose power and the gear selector lights turn off but my airbag light that is originally on stays on

Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 PM

The factory stereo had SCV (speed compensated volume) most aftermarket models don't. If that wire is not capped off it grounds out and makes the speedometer drop out until the dash gets smacked. Sounds like you're on the right track investigating grounds.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Starting Member

The factory stereo had SCV (speed compensated volume) most aftermarket models don't. If that wire is not capped off it grounds out and makes the speedometer drop out until the dash gets smacked. Sounds like you're on the right track investigating grounds.
Ok would you happen to know which wire that would be in the harness because when I installed the radio I didn’t chop the stock radio harness up I got a stock to aftermarket adapter. And would the scv wire grounding out cause me to lose all my gauges or just the speedometer ?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM

The times I've seen it only took out the speedo. Was there a problem with the instrument cluster before the stereo upgrade?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Starting Member

The times I've seen it only took out the speedo. Was there a problem with the instrument cluster before the stereo upgrade?
I’m am not entirely sure. I had to replace the stock radio because who ever had it before me spilled something down the dash and all the buttons on the stock radio were stuck

Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 PM

When I quote my 2000 factory service manual for wiring on a different year I'm proven wrong. I'd search 01 specifically.

Quick Reply: Gauges and radio frustration